Landscaping business.

/ Landscaping business. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
To those of you who own your own, or have in the past, is it worth it?

I am currently fighting with what I want to do for my new career. I came out of long haul trucking and running heavy equipment, and I have realized I just enjoy cutting grass and tractor work :)

Like anything though, I get the sick feeling in my stomach it isn't as easy as it would seem. Is there even enough money to be made in that business?

My area, from where I live to about 20 to 25 KM's in any direction, there is 290,698 by my population math. In this area, there are 175 landscaping contractors listed in the phone book. That comes out to 1,661 people per contractor. Of course, that isn't the end of the math, because not everyone uses a contractor, people that live in condo's, apartments, townhouses, have no need for one either. My guess put's the number drastically lower.

I am guessing that for every contractor around here, they may have 100 customers, maybe even less.

Is this something good to get into? I miss being my own boss as I used to own my own truck, but I have no desire for that lifestyle anymore. Unfortunately, I know that for quite some time, I could not offer the services a lot of other landscaping companies are offering now, I would need to get my funds and equipment built up first of all. I am scared that the bigger companies would drive a one man show like myself right into bankruptcy.

Thanks for all of your input!

/ Landscaping business. #2  
At least here, you can not do over $499 in work, materials included, without a contractors license. Blink your eyes, and you've overstepped that; costs are expensive.

You have to do a lot of $499 jobs to work your way to getting a contractor license.

A lot of people out there do the work wrong; there are specs for most landscape work; how deep a base below a walkway, how to PROPERLY plant, PROPERLY put irrigation and pressure lines at proper depth. There are classes on it at a lot of Junior Colleges...

A lot of people do not get educated on how to properly trim plants, trees, ect... or properly stake trees(wifes pet peeve...)

It costs time, money, and effort to install things properly; it is hard to do much for $499...

Even if you want to do maintenance, learn to do it right...

There are a lot of folks that need fixit work done. Unfortunately, when I did that, I had a hard time fixing a broken pipe, without digging up more issues(for instance, a pressurized water line/main should be 18" deep minimum, same for power).

You can do fine, if you can live with low costs jobs till you get a contractor license. Or, can find work at below contractor cost($500).

/ Landscaping business. #3  
I own a small nursery and do residential landscape install. This year I am offering mowing service as well. You don't need to be a licensed contractor to do installs or maintenance. maybe you do if you start doing large commercial work, but that takes time, labor, money and equipment. I know a lot of guys that make a decent living doing landscaping. I know what you mean about the work being too hard sometimes, I'm 46 and some days It's hard and.some days not so much.

/ Landscaping business. #4  
Also check out lawnsite.com. there are a lot of informative forums there.

/ Landscaping business. #5  
Me and the brother started are on the side lawmowing business(I was in late 20's him early 30's) we had the e-mark 0 turns 60in and 32in(13,000 in mowers)then the trimmers,etc(about a grand). We had more than we could handle,the weedeating sucked the worst. But I can say the work wasnt bad(unless 100 outside) but dealing with the people is the kicker. You have some that you can do a great job for then there are the ones nothing can make them happy,then you have the ones that wont you to do other stuff around place but do the other for free(the since you are here). Needless to say we paid are stuff off and the only yard we mow other than our own,is the parents:D Most folks that already have someone,usually will not drop them,unless just not happy to save a cple bucks.I think we got the ones that all the other mowers dropped cause there attitudes or they cursed the owners and they fired them:laughing:

I

/ Landscaping business.
Me and the brother started are on the side lawmowing business(I was in late 20's him early 30's) we had the e-mark 0 turns 60in and 32in(13,000 in mowers)then the trimmers,etc(about a grand). We had more than we could handle,the weedeating sucked the worst. But I can say the work wasnt bad(unless 100 outside) but dealing with the people is the kicker. You have some that you can do a great job for then there are the ones nothing can make them happy,then you have the ones that wont you to do other stuff around place but do the other for free(the since you are here). Needless to say we paid are stuff off and the only yard we mow other than our own,is the parents:D Most folks that already have someone,usually will not drop them,unless just not happy to save a cple bucks.I think we got the ones that all the other mowers dropped cause there attitudes or they cursed the owners and they fired them:laughing:

I

Yea this part worries me. I am not a people person at all, I have very short patience for BS and I tell it like it is, so the first time I tell off a customer, unfortunately that word could potentially spread around and I would be ruined.

I talked about it with the family but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would likely be a bad decision. I really enjoy doing the landscaping on our own property, which is almost a full time job as it is, and I don't want to end up hating landscaping at home. After fixing other peoples lawns all day, the last thing I would want to do is come home and mow my own lawn too.

Better off to find a better career choice and just enjoy my own landscaping at a leisurely pace, with no one to please and no one's opinion other then myself.

/ Landscaping business. #7  
Yea this part worries me. I am not a people person at all, I have very short patience for BS and I tell it like it is, so the first time I tell off a customer, unfortunately that word could potentially spread around and I would be ruined.

I talked about it with the family but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would likely be a bad decision. I really enjoy doing the landscaping on our own property, which is almost a full time job as it is, and I don't want to end up hating landscaping at home. After fixing other peoples lawns all day, the last thing I would want to do is come home and mow my own lawn too.

Better off to find a better career choice and just enjoy my own landscaping at a leisurely pace, with no one to please and no one's opinion other then myself.

Couldnt have said it better myself:thumbsup: