Walk behind tiller

/ Walk behind tiller #1  

Jamming

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R
Looking to buy a walk behind tiller for a smaller garden, any suggestions for under a grand.

/ Walk behind tiller #2  
I have owned a troy built for about ten years and it has always done a good job. Last year I bought a pto tiller and use the troybuilt for small jobs. I will vouch for them,they are made well or maybe they were made well. Not sure if any changes on the newer ones.

/ Walk behind tiller
I have owned a troy built for about ten years and it has always done a good job. Last year I bought a pto tiller and use the troybuilt for small jobs. I will vouch for them,they are made well or maybe they were made well. Not sure if any changes on the newer ones.

Buddy, has a Troy built he claims was 3 grand new and wants $1200 for it, electric start and all, I guess the new ones are MTD and not made very well.

/ Walk behind tiller #4  
I can't talk about the quality but this Cub Cadet popped up on Craigs List yesterday. Looks like a low milage one. Anywhere near you?

/ Walk behind tiller #5  
I'd go with a used tiller. I'm still using my fathers Troy Bilt. It must be 25 years old and still works like a champ. Go to ebay or craigslist and try to find one locally. And pocket the difference!

/ Walk behind tiller #6  
I suggest reading in the rototillers forum just down the page. The older troy bilt tillers are very well made and can be a good buy if you are willing to replace the worn out tines and the engine. In many instances, the old engines are shot, and it doesn't make sense to fool with them when you can bolt on a Lifan engine for $100-$200. These engine swaps have been discussed in more detail in the rototiller forums.

A Troy Bilt horse may be a bit big in a smaller garden. They made a couple of smaller tillers that were good, too.

If messing around with an old tiller isn't what you want to do, you can buy a new tiller for say $600-$700. I had a new MTD made Troy Bilt and broke two tines within a year. I also have a 30 yo Troy Bilt and never broke a single tine on it. So I sold the new one and kept the old one.

/ Walk behind tiller #7  
I use my Troy Built Pony on my garden that is about 70 x 60. Seems to be about the right size.

Would love to have had the full size horse, but budget and all - I went with the smaller.

Busting sod can be a workout, but two passes, let it set for a few weeks and a another pass it's ready to plant.

Last years garden is a one pass plant ready. Of course everyone's soil is different.

Don't look at anything but a rear tine unit, IMHO.

Happy gardening.