how potable is roof rain water?

/ how potable is roof rain water? #1  

kleetus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 1140 Kubota Grand L4240
its going to be a few years before my wife and I build a house on our ranch, so in the mean time we had a barn built, and we park our RV next to it and use that when we go up and work. my barn is 2400 sq feet, metal roof, which can collect alot of rain water very quickly.

the barn is situated on top of a hill, with no tree's within 150 feet. so leaves and twigs wouldnt be an issue. the only contaminates are bugs dust and bird poo.. so my question is, if i set up a water collection tank and then a pump, how potable is the water from the roof? would just filtering it be enough? or would I need to purify it? by filtering it, I mean like using a Brita or Pur water filter.

we probably arent going to be digging a well till we get closer to building so it would be nice to have some water on hand. if its going to be to much of a pain in the *** I would just use it as gray water for showers and toilet in the RV.

/ how potable is roof rain water? #2  
Been drinking roof runoff from a metal roof run through a sand filter into a underground cistern for over 40 years. The main concern would be how long the water has been sitting in an above ground water tank prior to drinking. Algae would probably be the main concern.

/ how potable is roof rain water?
would boiling be an option as well?

/ how potable is roof rain water? #4  
Any bird, raccoon, moose, or rodent poop on the roof?

/ how potable is roof rain water? #5  
In Southeast Alaska one see's a lot of home use water storage tanks that are filled from roof runoff.

I've no idea what treatment was/is used. :)

Just quessing acid adjustment, filtering and ozone light may be sufficient???:confused:

/ how potable is roof rain water?
   / how potable is roof rain water? #7  
You could just add a little chlorine bleach to your holding (catch) tank when pull into hook the RV then run it through a charcoal filter at the supply hose to the RV.

/ how potable is roof rain water? #8  
You could make it guaranteed-safe with a simple pre-filter and UV treatment. Because it's rain water, it's soft, so no softener is required before UV exposure.

/ how potable is roof rain water? #9  
I agree, filter for sediment/dust from roof and then run through UV light. Those lights work wonders. We had a drilled well that we chlorinated three times and still had positive test result for bacteria. As soon as the UV light was installed and turned on, no more bacteria. Congrats on you land!