NW SC ie red clay: Fescue: aerate, seed, Fert, and lime back to back application?

/ NW SC ie red clay: Fescue: aerate, seed, Fert, and lime back to back application? #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
I know this is asked adnausium but bare with me.

I would like to plug aerate, seed, Fert, and lime back to back. Its early spring and 2nd best time.

I have a soil analysis and it says I need lime 60 lbs per 1000 sqft and other stuff too.

Soil is pretty compacted. And there is only a little organics in the soil. It was rough graded a few years back. I have had a little success and have weeds, fescue, and bermuda growing. At least its green stuff.

Last fall I used an Aerway aerator spread fert and seed then drug over it with a chain harrow. I have some pretty good growth/coverage but stunted thin short sprouts from last fall. I was told not to lime at same time as seeding as it might cause a fungus growth and harm the seed?

I did not add any lime over the winter as I did not want to aerate again so soon and figured it would just run off (since I did not have much growth and soil is compacted).

I want to "overseed" and add more nutrients. I want to plug aerator seed, fert, and lime together back to back.

Is that ok or is it a no no to lime with seed? I read it will neutralize some Nitrogen if its Urea based fertilizer but other than that is Solu-Cal lime ok with Fertilizer and seed back to back?

/ NW SC ie red clay: Fescue: aerate, seed, Fert, and lime back to back application? #2  
What kind of seed?

Bermuda is quite hardy after it has started, but needs good moisture the 1st year. Seed would be the last thing I put after aerating. I'd aerate, fertilize then smooth. Seed it and very super light drag, or hand rake if it's a small area.

Once Bermuda gets a hold, it's almost impossible to stop.

/ NW SC ie red clay: Fescue: aerate, seed, Fert, and lime back to back application? #3  
I would go ahead and lime now, Solu-Cal is quick acting and most pellet lime takes about 6 months to do its job. I know we have had a warm winter and some things are growing, but I would wait until the ground temp is above 50 degrees before I sewed any seed. If you a small amount of grass from last fall, I would aerate very heavy (an old gounds keeper at local golf course told me that you can't aerate too much). Sew you seed and starter ferterlizer, drag in and keep it moist. After doing soil sample, I would do the same thing around 15 Sep in your area. You should have a nice yard by middle Nov 2012.

Good Luck!!

Eddie

/ NW SC ie red clay: Fescue: aerate, seed, Fert, and lime back to back application?
Thank y'all.

I am overseeding Fescue seed. (I know not preferred timing but I wanted to try one more time to thicken it up before the bermuda starts to grow).

This is the only place that has told me NOT to Lime and seed at same time???? I called my local Ag school (Clemson) Ext Agent and he said it wouldn't hurt to lime with seed.

I haven't found it on any warning labels or other literature. Many seed bags advise to fert AND LIME, and till then seed and cover. Many say for optimum results lime ahead of seed by at least 2 weeks or more and Lime takes a long time to work. My soil is fairly hard packed and just spreading Lime is probably not going to get it. I want to take advantage of the holes. I am not discing or tilling this late. Maybe one fall I'll try to till fert and lime into soil but more than likely keep Aerating aggressively to try and save some exsisting fescue.

Anyone want to figure what they are talking about. Is it when you overseed and the lime is on top that the fungus is the issue????

/ NW SC ie red clay: Fescue: aerate, seed, Fert, and lime back to back application? #5  
I've never heard of a fungus issue. All I have ever heard was it takes some time for the lime to change the PH enough to allow good growth, (reach the proper PH)