Calibrating Spike Aerator Drop Spreader Combo

/ Calibrating Spike Aerator Drop Spreader Combo #1  

mbrun

Tractor
John Deere 2010 x500
I own one the Brinly combo units. Calibrating using the garage floor method is not possible because of the spikes. Calibrating using the drop pan method using rain gutter is not possible, again because of the spikes. And calibrating by repeated dropping of material on a metered distance course is a waste of material ( or potentially harmful to the lawn), time consuming and difficult.

So my questions to those of you that do calibrate your aerator spreaders:

What method do you use?
Do you calibrate for each type of material before you apply?
If you use a drop pan/tray what did you make it from?

I am contemplating a jig to hold the spreader off the ground, putting a drop pan beneath the elevated unit, then using a drill to rotate the spike axle a number of times to represent a given travel distance.

What say you?

AS-40BH-large.jpg

aerator-spreader-landing.jpg

aerator-spreader-why1.jpg

aerator-spreader-why2.jpg

/ Calibrating Spike Aerator Drop Spreader Combo #2  
Big piece of cardboard to run it over?

/ Calibrating Spike Aerator Drop Spreader Combo
Big piece of cardboard to run it over?

The spikes would puncture through the cardboard. Perhaps someone has found a way to make a catch tray for this one?

/ Calibrating Spike Aerator Drop Spreader Combo #4  
mbrun said:
The spikes would puncture through the cardboard. Perhaps someone has found a way to make a catch tray for this one?

Right, that's the point. Lay it down on the concrete and run it over it your measured distance using your garage floor method.

/ Calibrating Spike Aerator Drop Spreader Combo
Right, that's the point. Lay it down on the concrete and run it over it your measured distance using your garage floor method.

Ok, now I see where your going. Use the cardboard to protect the tines. Nice thought!

Hmmmmm.