not listed ride on.

/ not listed ride on. #1  

Snowy

Tractor
Cox rideon mower
I am brand new to this forum so firstly hello to everyone.
I am an aussie that just got hold of an old rideon called a Cox mower,seeing there is no sub forums for this mower,i was unsure were to post this, the motor purs like a kitten but she needs some work underneath, as it has a terrible sweaking sound that comes on as soon as you engage the clutch lever to starting cutting, so i am thinking that belt is definatly heading for the bin.

I am wondering though is there anything else that i should be looking for whilst i am down there ? also is there any tricks that one should know when taken off a clutch belt, its just that i haven't worked on a ride on before.
I will of course check the pulleys for any bearing problems.
I have spun the blades whilst not under pressure there no bearing noises there so thats a bonus.
So any tips would be great.
thanks.

/ not listed ride on. #2  
Welcome! While your under there, look everywhere for grease zerks. They can be on any moving parts. Sounds like you do need a new belt, and that is a common replacement part. Here in the U.S., I bring a belt I'm unsure of to the parts store, and they measure it and get me a replacement. Good luck and have way too much fun!

/ not listed ride on.
Thanks gengine, shall do that and thanks for the tip.
All the mower cost was a box of beer, can't complain about that, she's got a 12 hp industrial briggs & stratton, a bit knocked around body wise but i intend to restore it to its former glory, it's going to be fun. :thumbsup:

/ not listed ride on. #4  
Snowy,

Welcome to TBN, I'm sure someone on this site owns the same model of machine you have. About the 12 hp industrial briggs & stratton, I too have one in a generator that gave me fits to start. :confused2: After reading the posted thread on "Seafoam" (simply do a search to locate on TBN) I went out and purchased a couple of cans, added to the fuel per directions and now no problems at all. In fact I add some to every 4th tank of fuel just to keep everything clean. :thumbsup:

/ not listed ride on.
Snowy,

Welcome to TBN, I'm sure someone on this site owns the same model of machine you have. About the 12 hp industrial briggs & stratton, I too have one in a generator that gave me fits to start. :confused2: After reading the posted thread on "Seafoam" (simply do a search to locate on TBN) I went out and purchased a couple of cans, added to the fuel per directions and now no problems at all. In fact I add some to every 4th tank of fuel just to keep everything clean. :thumbsup:

Sounds like really good stuff, don't know if they sell it over here though.
I am pretty lucky with my briggs & stratton, it starts very easily now, but thanks for the tip anyway i will keep it mind.
regards
Snowy

/ not listed ride on.
I don't know if this will help answer your questions!

Their web side link is Cox Industries (Australia) Pty Ltd. Lawn Care Equipment, Mowers, Garden Care Equipment, Turf Care Products

:welcome: to TBN! :thumbsup:

Happy :tractor: ing!

Thanks for that but i did have their website and downloaded a manual but doesn't explain to much, i did contact their service manager who helped a lot, he pretty much walked me through the process, checking pulley condition etc.
and told me to contact him again if i have any other questions, he was a great bloke.

regards
Snowy

/ not listed ride on.
Hi guys, back again been out of action from a lumber disc problem, but anyway i got to work on my ride on today, first of all how much slack should there be in the cutting belt ? because when i pulled on it it there was about 4 inches slack.
I then took off the belt and checked the belt condition, it appeared to be in pretty good nick, which surprized me a bit.
I thought there may had been a tensioner set up but there was nothing, just a belt going to the 2 pulleys which looked ok as well.

How ever when used the lever that engagers the mower cutting apparatus there was an awfull squeaking sound, so i put some grease at differant points i thought may have needed it, after a while of moving the lever numerous times the squealing sound went away completly.
So makes me think if all the sqeaking.was coming from the lever lingages and the belt might not have been the problem or may be a contributing factor if the belt has stretched to much.
thanks for any help in advance.
regards
Snowy

/ not listed ride on. #9  
Welcome from another Aussie just north of you up Sydney way , Cox is an Australian company based in Qld , mowers are almost bulletproof just have small decks for large acreage mowing.
The B&S motor you will have no problems getting bits and the Cox check around the local mower shops for a bit of info :thumbsup:

/ not listed ride on.
Thanks mate, i called into a mower shop today and howed them my old belt which was showing ome signs of wear of i got a new one and will keep the oldy as a spare.
The newer belt was about 2 inches smaller than the old belt, so i will put it on tommorow and see how it goes.

thanks everyone for your support.:thumbsup: