What fertilizer for new grass

/ What fertilizer for new grass #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Have some grass that I planted last fall and and about to spread the rest of the topsoil around the house and will be planting grass. So what fertilizer is best for newly planted grass. Can't remember the exact numbers now (I have them wrote down) but my neighbor (farmer) suggested some 5-10-10 or 5-5-10.

/ What fertilizer for new grass #2  
Triple 19, or triple 10 is fine or a bag of whatever you can pick up at the hardware store. Just don't get anything with a pre-emergent mixed with it. Most of the pre-emergents are crabgrass preventers.

The only way to truly know what your soil needs is to get a soil test.

/ What fertilizer for new grass #3  
As stated, new grass sprouts can be killed very easily by many herbicides that are typically used in established stands. Be sure it is straight fertilizer. Not sure of your area, but around here, most of our soils need lime since the pH is somewhat on the acid side. The lime gets incorporated prior to speading fertilizer so the Nitrogen doesn't volitize, depending on the type of course. The lime helps the soil release the nutrients better to the plant.

/ What fertilizer for new grass #4  
I'd second the soil test. for around $20, you 'll know for sure. Usually on the from to submit the sample it has a space for you to notate what kind of grass and application, believe it or not, that will make a difference.

Other than that, not knowing what kind of grass your planting, i would use something like the guys said maybe a 13-13-13 for the first application, then switch to a 17-5-5 or similar. Nitrogen gets used up much quicker than phosphorus and Potassium. Also Nitrogen moves through the sail much quicker too.

/ What fertilizer for new grass #5  
I would also get a soil test. Around here the county extension office has a grant that provides a free basic soil test, 10 free ones if you are ag. Took several samples in this past Friday and just waiting on the results.

/ What fertilizer for new grass #7  
I would also get a soil test. Around here the county extension office has a grant that provides a free basic soil test, 10 free ones if you are ag. Took several samples in this past Friday and just waiting on the results.

Thats just great and I am envious ... the office here is $10 each test.

/ What fertilizer for new grass #9  
In my area the best numbers are 15 5 10. I can order a pallet load (40 bags) for $12 per 50 lb bag from the local feed store.

/ What fertilizer for new grass
Thanks for the help, I'll have to find out around here where we get a soil test done. Also should check with the farmer that farms my place and see if he has had any soil tests done.