Ferris IS3000 towing capacity

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity #1  

kiotiken

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab
I have a Ferris IS3000 zero turn. I'm wondering how much I can use it to pull over a short distance. I'm splitting wood and throwing it in the trailer to move it to the wood pile (only about 50 feet). The trailer and load would be about 3000lbs full. Am I pushing it too hard, or can I very slowly move the trailer. I'm using my backhoe to hold logs so I can't put the draw bar on the tractor.

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity #2  
Do you have a hitch on the Ferris already? I might worry about it yanking you up. I had a problem with my 1500 where I was trying to use it to pull and the wheels had enough traction to pull the front end off the ground to a pretty bad angle due to the weight distribution of the ZTR. I let off the handles and it came back down, but I wouldn't want to take that ride again. Also stopping with the weight pushing you forward could be exciting.

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity #3  
K-ken

I have a Ferris IS2000 and B21 TLB and use the B21 and thumb to cut to length and then the front mounted splitter to split. My log pile is 600' from the stacking area and I use the Ferris to cart the wood in a small trailer.

The split pieces go in the trailer I have attached to the back of the Ferris - holds about a 1/4 of a cord probably 5-700lbs and I have no tipping or pulling issues.

I also have a trac vac tow behind unit with an engine on the drawbar and the weight loaded on the drawbar is probably 300 lbs and the load is 1200 lbs - you will know when the front end is getting light but in my experience they can easily pull 3K - depends on the weight on the hitch.

Load it up and see, is my suggestion, but towing 1000 or 3000 lbs with a tongue weight of 2-300 lbs should not be a problem. When the front wheels come off the ground you can still steer a ZTR but its not comfortable.

Carl

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity
Thanks guys, I never really thought about the wheels coming off the ground. I have used it to pull my boat from the back yard out to the driveway, maybe 500'. I'd say the boat would be 1500-2000lbs and it doesn't have any issue pulling it or the wheels coming off the ground. My concern is more about should I use it like this or am I pushing those hydraulic motors/pump to hard? I have no doubt I can pull 3000lbs, but unlike the boat that I pull out / put back twice a year, I'd have to make many many runs with the wood.

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity #5  
i would say extended towing might heat up the fluid but I think short duration to/from the wood plie should pose no problems.

I tow my trac vac around the yard with a decent load and the fluid never gets too warm - I do keep the pumps clean and clear of dirt / debris after each mowing I blow them off.

I see no issue with what you intend to do.

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity #6  
I'm not saying that this is manufacturer recommended but I've
used my 1500Z for dragging a 4X4 chain harrow and a small
2 wheeled cart through the horse pastures for years.

I agree that you'll pull the front wheels off the ground long
before you'll damage the pumps.

That being said I would, however, keep a check on your hydraulic
lines to the wheels. You could blow a line. I've had to change a
couple of lines over time.

I just consider it part of service for the work I've asked of it.

Ferris makes a strong machine. Maintain it and it will serve you
well.

I gave her a go last night, loaded the trailer up (maybe not quite as much as I could have or have in the past) and pulled it with the IS3000. NOOOOOO problem at all, the front wheels stayed firmly planted on the ground and it didn't seem to struggle much at all. From the way it behaved, I'd say the boat is heavier, which surprises me, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks to all for the input.

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity #8  
FWIW, one of the dealers I am looking at for a Kioti is also a Ferris Dealer. I can see that the 3000 series is WAY bigger and a real bada__ ZTR! I bought mine used and my BIL gave me several sets of filters, oil, etc, so this was the first time I actually have been where they sell the Ferris and seen the 3000 series. Perhaps you need to attach a Ratchet Rake to the front and have a go at it :thumbsup: Very impressive machine.

FWIW, one of the dealers I am looking at for a Kioti is also a Ferris Dealer. I can see that the 3000 series is WAY bigger and a real bada__ ZTR! I bought mine used and my BIL gave me several sets of filters, oil, etc, so this was the first time I actually have been where they sell the Ferris and seen the 3000 series. Perhaps you need to attach a Ratchet Rake to the front and have a go at it :thumbsup: Very impressive machine.

:D:D Yup, the thing really is a beast, it's built like a tank!

What model Kioti are you looking at? I have the same impression of my Kioti, it's strong and built VERY tough, I've very impressed with it and thankful I chose it over the other options I was looking at.

/ Ferris IS3000 towing capacity #10  
Funny you should ask. I'm just heading over the the thread I started about purchasing it as I got the news from one dealer on my trade-in. Anyway, I think it will end up being the DK45se HST if the second dealer offers me at least the same trade-in. I know I won't hear from them until Monday (the salesmen said the owner is the man who does the trade-in part).