Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business?

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Was helping my step mom choose a new push mower recently, and it seemed that practically every mower I looked at had a Briggs or the Chinese 173cc Kohler engine. The last five pushers I have purchased since 2003--four had a Briggs, and one the imported Kohler. I recall when just about every Craftsman I purchased had a Tecumseh but the last new one I purchased was in '92 !!!

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #2  
Dead and buried.

Tecumseh Products - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gasoline engine components

In 2007, the company's former gasoline engine and power train product lines, which is what the company had been most known for, were sold to Platinum Equity LLC, which does business as Tecumseh Power. Tecumseh engine products at one time were sold in over 120 countries. In December 2008, the company closed its engine manufacturing division.[2] TecumsehPower sold off its Peerless transmissions business to Husqvarna Outdoor Products.[2]

On February 10, 2009, Platinum Equity LLC announced that Tecumseh Power Company had sold certain assets of its engine business to Certified Parts Corporation. This included the sale of existing and unfinished engine parts inventory, tools to make finished product and certain intellectual property assets. Certified Parts Corporation also assumed responsibility for warranty of previous engine sales.[3]

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business?
Thanks for info...sorry to see yet another company fold up. Darn...hope I can still get parts for my 10 hp Tecumseh generator...!!! I did know that Coleman had closed up it's generator production but figured I could always get parts for the engine...DARN.

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #4  
Guess we better learn to read Chinese.

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #5  
Thanks for info...sorry to see yet another company fold up. Darn...hope I can still get parts for my 10 hp Tecumseh generator...!!! I did know that Coleman had closed up it's generator production but figured I could always get parts for the engine...DARN.

I hope you had the improved designs, as I NEVER had any luck with their engines...I had sworn off buying any more of them...But I had heard they had improved their designs. Speak Chinese???NOT LIKELY to happen..l

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #6  
Way back in 1969, I bought a Toro walk behind lawnmower without realizing at the time that I was getting the Tecumseh engine when Briggs was also an option. Between me and a dealer, we kept that piece of junk running for nearly 3 years before the dealer said the only way to fix it would be replace the block and that's when I scrapped it. I never again even considered buying any product with a Tecumseh engine, although they may have made some good ones.

At one time I thought about buying a DR trimmer/mower but changed my mind when I found the model I was interested in had a Tecumseh engine. When they later came out with their top of the line with a Briggs engine, I bought it.

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #7  
Way back in 1969, I bought a Toro walk behind lawnmower without realizing at the time that I was getting the Tecumseh engine when Briggs was also an option. Between me and a dealer, we kept that piece of junk running for nearly 3 years before the dealer said the only way to fix it would be replace the block and that's when I scrapped it. I never again even considered buying any product with a Tecumseh engine, although they may have made some good ones.

At one time I thought about buying a DR trimmer/mower but changed my mind when I found the model I was interested in had a Tecumseh engine. When they later came out with their top of the line with a Briggs engine, I bought it.

Hey Bird, Remember Clinton engines. Worked at a rental store and we replaced about forty something motors with Briggs and wisconsin engines.

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #8  
Hey Bird, Remember Clinton engines. Worked at a rental store and we replaced about forty something motors with Briggs and wisconsin engines.

Do I remember Clinton engines? My paternal grandfather had a little tiller with a Clinton engine for years and my dad inherited it and was still using it years later. So I guess they weren't too bad.

However, my luck was different. I bought my first gasoline powered lawnmower, with a Clinton engine, when I was 15 and went door to door to find lawnmowing jobs in Marlowe, OK. One of my customers had several dogs and let the grass get way too deep before she'd pay to mow it. I always walked the yard first to pick up bones and such, but I missed a big bone one day. When I hit that bone, stopped the engine instantly, and bent the crankshaft. Now I couldn't blame Clinton for that one, but I spent more time working on that little engine than I did mowing, and the next year I got a Lawnboy.

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business? #9  
Sad to see this post. My wife put herself through college building Tecumseh engines in Grafton, WI. My brother has worked at Kohler Engines for 30 years. He says they can't build a consumer engine at a price point people will buy.

Greasemonkey has it right: Better learn to read Chinese. The manufacturing base in this county is toast.

/ Is Tecumseh still in the small engine business?
Sad to see this post. My wife put herself through college building Tecumseh engines in Grafton, WI. My brother has worked at Kohler Engines for 30 years. He says they can't build a consumer engine at a price point people will buy.

Greasemonkey has it right: Better learn to read Chinese. The manufacturing base in this county is toast.

When I drove for a living, I made many trips thru Tecumseh, Michigan and I always thought about my numerous engines with the same name when I passed through the city. Sad. I had numerous Craftsman mowers and a tiller with the Tecumseh engines and always found them reliable.