New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower /

/ New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower / #1  

highmeadowfarm

Tractor
John Deere 3320
New gentleman farmer needs assistance: I have about 2 acres of finished lawn to cut and also have 5-7 acres of brush cutting to do. My finish mowing area has some tight squeezes so a full rear mount finish mower will seem to be not the best option on a tractor. I also have some hairy hills where 4 WD is a necessity. Does anyone make a riding mower that I can then attach a brush hog onto for the fields which are rough and rocky. I didn't want both a tractor and a riding mower/ZT mower for the tasks. If price was not an object what is the best all in one machine ? I thought the Kubota Gx line with the pto, instead of belts sounds awesome for attachments I could get and no belt issues. But have they worked through all the complaints and problems i've read about? I was hoping to not be stuck buying both a full tractor and riding mower/ZT. Looking for top quality. Great air ride seat, professional finish mow while also able to attach a brush hog for tough fields.
Any help appreciated! I've lurked at all you brand loyalist and I'm wide open to hear opinions. I've listen to the pride in your posts which only has me jumping around doing too much research but getting no where.. So please give me any and all thoughts. I might add I need 4wd for some steep hills. All suggestions welcome please. Also a cash deal if anyone has a cherry slightly used offering or new, please send or new hit me up! I can't tell you guys how much I've learned recently on this most excellent board. Hoping for great ideas!

Last edited:
   / New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower / #2  
Look at about a 18hp kubota or JD or whatever 4wd tractor. Buy a mid mount (under the middle) mower for your lawn and a rear mount brush hog type for the rear for the rougher area. With a little shopping you will find one that is small enough to go in the tight spots on you lawn with the middle mower (also known as a belly mount) yet big enough to have a 3 point that can mount a small brush hog. You also would have the option to get a quick disconnect FEL (front end loader) which you would use for things you haven't even thought of. They can be removed or reinstalled in less than 5 mins.

/ New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower /
I have thought about a mid mount mower and it seems general consensus is they are a pain:) in the @$&. Do some come on and off easier than others? While I know it's no quick attach. The hassle factor concerns.

/ New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower / #4  
Some are pretty easy some are a royal pain. Have they dealer show you the proceedure. The "tractors" are going to be easier than the "mowers" to remove. You may also be able to use the rear mower without removing the MMM if it will lift high enough.

/ New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower / #5  
Trying to balance a tractor to finish mow 2 "tight" acres and brush hog 5-7 acres is going to be a trick. Small enough to navigate the lawn but enough HP to run a 4'/5' brush hog is going to be a compromise between both tasks. I think JD has some "drive on" mower decks that are advertised to be easy connect. I've never actually done it so that's all that's worth.
You don't list any other needs except mowing but I'll bet a real tractor (FEL/PTO) will offer a lot of versaltility and expand the number of projects you might think of.
Now I have a lawn mower AND a tractor and really like that versatility!

/ New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower / #6  
John Deere 1023e and 1026r are sub compact similar to the Kubota BX series but have one significant difference, the autoconnect drive over mower deck. I've seen videos on YouTube of the connection process and it appears to be a 1-2 minute process. I have a Kubota BX2360 and would agree that attaching (especially) and detaching is a pain. Do a YouTube search for "1026r mower" and you'll find a few videos of it.

/ New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower / #7  
Decide which is more important. If you want that perfect mowed lawn look get a ZT mower. If you have a lot of trees it will be faster than a tractor. You will mow more often than bushhog. Then get a tractor big enough to bushhog without getting torn up.

/ New Gentleman Farmer Needs Assistance for Riding Mower / Tractor mower /
I think I may end up with two machines as reality of the tasks sets in.