Vanguard big block or Kawasaki V-twin ?

/ Vanguard big block or Kawasaki V-twin ? #1  

trkbldr

Silver Member
Tractor
'53 Golden Jubilee and a NH TC33DA with 14LA loader
I am considering purchasing a Ferris 2000Z mower. I have the option of either the 30 HP Briggs Vanguard Big Block or the Kawasaki 26 HP V-Twin. Is either of these engines superior to the other? If so, why? Any advice or information will be much appreciated.

/ Vanguard big block or Kawasaki V-twin ? #2  
Both very reliable engines from what little I know.

/ Vanguard big block or Kawasaki V-twin ? #3  
Both are good engines and will serve you well - I guess if the choice was mine I would get the Kawasaki as they have been a great engine for a long time and the pros would lean Kawasaki.

My IS2000 has the 25HP Kawasaki 52" deck and so far I have been happy with this machine and engine package. I know the larger IS3000 use the B&S 30 HP also - I drove one of those and can say it ran well.

I think the torque numbers for the Kawasaki are a bit higher so the 26 compared to the 30 should perform similarly. So if the cost is equal my vote would be Kawasaki.

As you know B&S own Ferris now and I have heard better pricing with the B&S power.

Carl

/ Vanguard big block or Kawasaki V-twin ? #4  
I bought my mower based on being able to get the Kawasaki engine. Have not been disappointed in any way so far and it has been 3 years. my :2cents:

/ Vanguard big block or Kawasaki V-twin ? #5  
I have 500 hrs on 16 hp Vanguard w no problems. Neighbor has same engine on Grasshopper ZTR w 500 hrs and is starting to use oil but no other problems.