Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest.

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #1  

fgable

Tractor
Kubota L245DT
I got a Craftsmen Garden tractor with a front mount snow blower, single stage. I have the unit all hooked up. When I lower the blower down, all the weight rests on the skid shoes. Should I have the minimum amount of weight on the shoes when in the lowered position so it just glides on the skid shoes? The lowered height does not seem adjustable, and I am affraid the 15 horse tractor won't push the snow blower or the skid shoes will grind of in 1 season.
thanks in advance

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #2  
I have no clue, and I bet not a lot of guys here have much experience with the smaller garden tractors. Somewhere I ran across a web site devoted to garden tractors, but I don't remember the URL. Can anybody help?

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #3  
fgable,
First of all do you have rear tire chains on,plus some weight on the rear end?
If not than you could have a problem getting tractioning going up a hill or on ice also turning around with the snowblower on the front,do to the extra weight hanging out there also trying to push.

The slides should let you decide the setting on how close to the ground to pick up the snow and it does a even job cleaning up...I would let the skids always ride on the ground for thats there purpose,and I don't believe they will wear off in the first year or two.

My 2 cents worth..../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #4  
I have a Craftsman 20hp Garden tractor that had a 4' snowplow blade.

The height is adjusted with the same control that is used to adjust the mower height. I would adjust the height to where the blade was an inch or so above the ground since I have a gravel driveway.

I had chains for the rear tires but no wheel weights. I had to watch how big a bite of snow I took or I would spin the tires. I'd guess that the additional weight of a snow blower would make your tractor really "light in the rear".

This year, I adapted the snow blade to my 4wd Kubota B6100DT. Looking forward to the first snow here in the upper Shenandoah Valley to test it out. May have to extend the width to clear the real wheels when angle plowing.

WVBill

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #5  
I know the scale is different, but the philosophy is the same:
I have a JD790 with a 5' Meteor snowblower (I've also used a walk behind for years) and traction is totally different between a plow and a snowblower. Basically, the blower gets the snow out of the way as you approach it, while the plow requires much better traction in order to move the pile.
How high you keep the blower off the ground should be set by your skid shoes... they'll always be the support for the blower. If you have a finished drive like blacktop or concrete, then just set the blower down. With gravel/rock you have to make sure the skids keep the blower away from the surface... never had to deal with that, but I understand it can be a real pain dealing with gravel regardless of how the snow is removed.

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #6  
fgable, my "little" tractor is a Crafstman 12 hp with the single stage blower on the front. I go through a set of skids every year or two. Last set, I bolted on a thicker piece of steel to the wear surface and next set I'm thinking of having weld bead laid down. All my blowing is on concrete.

Most of the weight is on the skids, but mine does have assist springs linked back up to the front of the tractor. I think they have more to do with raising the unit than weight on the skids.

For traction I use chains, wheel weights and a five gallon bucket of concrete hanging on the hitch. It's still a bit traction limited but does OK.

Any other questions, let me know.

Rob

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #7  
WVBill
If you should decide to extend the plow width,you want to add at least 8 to 10 inch to both sides.

Did you istall the plow frame to your bucket?

Hope you get some of that white stuff to play in. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #8  
Thomas:

It's kind of hard to describe but, yes I attach the existing plow frame to the loader bucket with several strategically placed chains and a load binder. This keeps the original angle adjustment and blade flexing mechanisms functional. I did get my neighbor to weld a "lip" to the plow frame that engages the edge of the FEL bucket. This stabalizes the loader frame side-to-side - but it also makes it no longer usable on the Craftsman.

I'll take pictures this weekend and post them.

I pushed my mulch pile around a bit as a test and it seems to work. We'll see for sure when the snow comes.

Now, to find some material to extend the blade 8 or 10" on either side. If I could find some 1/8" steel plate about 12" square, I could probably bend it to the contour of the blade and get my neighbor to weld it on...

WVBill

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #9  
WVBILL,
I would be most interested in seeing the pictures.

I bought 12"x8'x1/8" at metal shop before,than cut off the pieces in which I needed.
To bend the steel to match the blade pitch all I did was use a 12 inch heavy duty water pipe,than clamp half way of both side,than slowly bend with pressure and a little rapa tap here and there,and before I knew it I had the pitch.

I thought by useing heat I would end up with a mess or burning my fingers for sure. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

You got to admit since you got your Kubota your having more fun tinkering. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Craftsmen with snowblower attachment quest. #10  
Yes you should let all the weight down on the skid shoes. If you have a gravel drive way pack it down first so you that you wont catch any rocks.