Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start?

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Recently the local newspaper published a story of a man who purchased a new Brute self-propelled push mower from a local Menards, and as the story goes the machine wouldn't start. He tried to return it to Menards for a replacment and they told him their policy is they wouldn't replace it, and they could only refer him to the local small engine shop who would handle it as a warranty issue, and the shop had a two week backlog of work.

I have purchased at least twenty new push mowers in my lifetime as well as a huge number of blowers, trimmers, chainsaws, and none of mine failed to start. The last new push mower I purchased was the exact same model the guy with the no-start machine is griping about and mine has given excellent service.

How many of you have had a no-start situation yourselves?

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #2  
I've got a Honda engined pressure washer that if you don't choke it first pull it'll flood and then it's a sob from there. I've had various small engines that had their quirks, especially outboard motors. I had an Evinrude when I was a teenager that taught me the art of cussing, not just using the dirty words but using them in context and combinations.

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #3  
I have never heard of a store that would not take back a non-running unit. I had a neighbor that bought a mower from Sears and did not put oil in it and it froze up and she got a replacement mower.

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #4  
I hope he paid for it with a credit card!

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start?
The issue being reported both in print and online has created a lot of negative publicity for Menards and a majority of the comments made say the store should simply exchange the no-start mower for another one. However, it is clearly posted in the power equipment section of the store that any and all warranty issues are to be handled by the local shop.

Murphy 1244...that sounds amazing that Sears would be that gracious about such an issue. A free replacement for a machine that the customer damaged because of carelessness?

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #6  
I haven't heard this story, but I'm glad Menard's is getting negative publicity from implementing their standard policy.
Big Box stores are great at skimming the gravy from the outdoor power equipment market and abdicating most or all service responsibility.
The buyer probably saved pocket change compared to a similar unit from a servicing dealer. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start?
I haven't heard this story, but I'm glad Menard's is getting negative publicity from implementing their standard policy.
Big Box stores are great at skimming the gravy from the outdoor power equipment market and abdicating most or all service responsibility.
The buyer probably saved pocket change compared to a similar unit from a servicing dealer. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

"Pocket change....?" The retail price of the Brute mower with a USA made Briggs in the OP was $279.99 plus tax, a comparable Toro mower with a smaller engine (a Chinese branded Kohler) is $359.99 at a full serve dealer. With 6% sales tax that is a near $85 difference. And for what it is worth, I paid only $200 for my Brute mower because it was purchased as a special promotion deal.

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #8  
I'm thinking that Mennards is still a private owned by one family business.
Looking at a sales ticket for a recent purchase it says return policy varies by product type.
unless noted allowable returns for items will be in the form of a store credit voucher if is done with in 6 months.
Exceptions concerning returns or exchange: are noted on the front of the registor receipt.
How long ago did the purchase take place.

I have purchased Weed eater brand tools and the gas tank would leak before the rope was pulled . and have noticed most are discarded before the tool gets dusty.

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #9  
I'm thinking that Mennards is still a private owned by one family business.

That matters how?
Menards is a multi-billion dollar big-box retailer. Stock ownership is irrelevant to this issue.

/ Ever purchased a new mower that refused to start? #10  
"Pocket change....?" The retail price of the Brute mower with a USA made Briggs in the OP was $279.99 plus tax, a comparable Toro mower with a smaller engine (a Chinese branded Kohler) is $359.99 at a full serve dealer. With 6% sales tax that is a near $85 difference. And for what it is worth, I paid only $200 for my Brute mower because it was purchased as a special promotion deal.

That helps prove my point. The big box retailers cut the throats of servicing dealers and the buying public screams & yells when a servicing dealer tells the buyer of a big box OPE item to wait in line when they need warranty work done.

The buying public expects to get it both ways. Doesn't happen often. If Menard's published warranty policy hasn't been violated, the buyer has nobody to blame but himself. As the old saying goes: you pays your money & you takes your chances.

Same deal as the guy who saves $1000 on a new tractor purchased 1500 miles away then can't get immediate warranty work done by the local dealer.