Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Convert mulcher to side discharge?

Just purchased a used Craftsman 6.75 torque Briggs self-propelled pusher for $50, low hours, starts and runs fine. Only issue is that it is a mulcher/bagger deck and I want to convert it to a side discharge and install a plastic discharge chute from an older mower. Has anybody ever tried this kind of conversion and is it worth the work involved? I just wonder if the deck on a model like this would be manufactured for airflow and discharge out the back and might not side discharge properly. Thanks for any input.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Convert mulcher to side discharge?

From what I've seen of the rear discharge mowers, it would be hard to make a side discharge out of it.........but it could be attempted.

Follow the contour of the 'chute gathering' on top of the deck, and compare that to a side discharge.

You will normally find a deeper 'well' in there to facilitate the vacuum created by the blades, to keep the grass clippings at a greater height to make up for the longer distance.

One could..........basically 'cut-off' the chute flow to make a side discharge( side discharge mowers do have this 'cut-off' point), just takes some fabricating.

I don't think it is worth the work involved, but people have done things that are a lot more complicated than your issue.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.