Convert mulcher to side discharge?

/ Convert mulcher to side discharge? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Just purchased a used Craftsman 6.75 torque Briggs self-propelled pusher for $50, low hours, starts and runs fine. Only issue is that it is a mulcher/bagger deck and I want to convert it to a side discharge and install a plastic discharge chute from an older mower. Has anybody ever tried this kind of conversion and is it worth the work involved? I just wonder if the deck on a model like this would be manufactured for airflow and discharge out the back and might not side discharge properly. Thanks for any input.

/ Convert mulcher to side discharge? #2  
From what I've seen of the rear discharge mowers, it would be hard to make a side discharge out of it.........but it could be attempted.

Follow the contour of the 'chute gathering' on top of the deck, and compare that to a side discharge.

You will normally find a deeper 'well' in there to facilitate the vacuum created by the blades, to keep the grass clippings at a greater height to make up for the longer distance.

One could..........basically 'cut-off' the chute flow to make a side discharge( side discharge mowers do have this 'cut-off' point), just takes some fabricating.

I don't think it is worth the work involved, but people have done things that are a lot more complicated than your issue.