Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Flywheel key replacement

Yesterday I pulled the flywheel on my step mom's '05 vintage Craftsman to replace the flywheel key on the Tecumseh, and I got to wondering:

Exactly what is the purpose of putting a key atop the engine, when it seems having a key down at the blade would be much more practical and much easier to replace should it be required? If you hit something and the blade bends, you are going to end up removing and replacing it anyway so why don't they put the key there in the first place? She told me she got one estimate of $50 to replace the key on her mower, which I thought was simply obscene as it is a half-hour job and only a $1 part.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Default Re: Flywheel key replacement

I thought all small engine flywheels had a keyway and key. While it is certainly not proof positive, at lease everyone I have worked on did. Flywheel is harmonically balanced, and that is the only way to ensure it is aligned up properly with all the other stuff in the innards.

As for the price, mmm I donno. Soak it with penetrating oil, align and install wheel puller, twist and tap gently, then pick up the pieces when the flywheel pops off, falls to the floor and breaks off a fin. Go to the salvage yard to buy a new flywheel (and of course, it is harmonically balanced for a different but similar engine). For $50? Not me.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Actually I know how to remove a flywheel and I have a correct puller. Photo shows the broken off key...a $1 part the repair shop would charge my step mom $50 for labor to replace.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -017-jpg  
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2006 4320 CUT, 1970 Power King 2416

Flywheel key has nothing to do with harmonic balancing, but does have everything to do with ignition timing.

Jim

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet Gt2550

Spot on Jim
    My Wife said I do not listen
    At least I think thats what she said