Troy Bilt issue running

/ Troy Bilt issue running #1  

lbzduramax

Tractor
JD 4710, JD 970
I have a 22hp 46" troy bilt riding mower. I cut the yard last week and it ran great. I went to start it a few days later (I have been using my deep cell battery from my dump trailer since the mower battery needs replaced) and when I take the battery cable off the battery when the mower is running, it dies. What should I look at to fix her up?
Could using the big deep cycle have messed up something?
Thanks in advanced

/ Troy Bilt issue running #3  
Just make a trip to Wallyworld (Walmart) and buy a battery. DO NOT FIGHT THIS, I've been down this road. bjr

/ Troy Bilt issue running
yes, but eventually the mower will drain the battery and die since it will not run unless it is connected. so something must have broke in the electrical system of the mower itself...

/ Troy Bilt issue running #5  
Does it have a electric clutch pto to turn the blades on, if it does you need to replaced the battery because your old battery is so dead that it does not have enough power to keep your mower running. I had the same problem on my simplicity 2003 model that had a electric clutch pto and replaced the battery and it rans great now.

/ Troy Bilt issue running #6  
I remember disconnecting the battery cables while the vehicle was running as a basic test to see if the alternator was good, if it died that was usually a good indicator the alternator was gone. Of course this was on pre-electronic ignition cars back "in the day". I have no idea if this concept applies to riding mowers, just thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility to consider.