Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #1  

Domush

Platinum Member
Tractor
1981 Yanmar 336D
I recently bought a 5HP pressure washer for cheap, got it running fine but the soap won't suck up into the pump (it never even moves in the intake hose).

Does anyone recognize this pump and, better, know what I can do to get it to start sucking the soap again? It hasn't worked since I bought it (used).

IMG_20120515_121649.jpg

IMG_20120515_121819.jpg

Those two little dial/plug-like things can turn 1/4 turn, but they don't seem to affect anything. I wonder if they are simply plugs for changing/adding oil to the pump, but any advice as to what they really are/do would be most helpful.

Anyone have a similar washer who can help?

Thanks!

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #2  
On my power washer ( not same but should be similar, I have to use "low" pressure. I would open valve for soap and remove power tip from wand, use the soap version and go at it . It will suck soap this way like crazy, so go sparingly.

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #3  
Mine also isn't working. Like Radioman says, with mine, you pulled out on the nozzle at the end of the wand, which made it low pressure, then it would suck up soap, but that stopped working years ago on mine. I'm hoping someone has an easy fix.

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #4  
Agree with the "use low pressure" approach, as it says that in my instructions. I have never used soap, so I don't know much to tell...except presume that it is an induction type thing...like a carburetor...so I would probably shut it down, open up the nozzle, etc, and try to blow and wash clean the soap side with air / water.

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #5  
I also agree with the low pressure idea - i have one sililiar that got all gummed up & clogged - still never worked the greatest - even from day one, new

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap
Yeah, I figured out the pull out nozzle end. It goes to a crappy spray with not much pressure (maybe a three foot stream) and still no soap flow.

I'm going to see if I can't pressurize the soap line in order to force any clogs through. I'd really like the soap to work with the wand, as using a spray bottle would quickly get old when doing my house

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #7  
I have a different power washer, but in order for me to have soap, I have to turn the plug a 1/4 turn and I have to use a soap (low pressure) nozzle. As soon as I switch to a high pressure nozzle, soap will stop.

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap
I took the soap injection elbow off and noticed the ball bearing inside was stuck. I cleaned off the bearing and reinstalled it and all is well now. Soap comes out nice and fast now. I'll post some pictures of what I fixed later on.

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #9  
Thanks for sharing your fix, I have power washers with soap injection but have never used it on any of them...I am curious enough now to see how it works on mine.

/ Gas power washer pump won't suck up soap #10  
On my Troy-Bilt I have to use the low pressure tip. And, the manual says that the anti-siphon ball is just inside the fitting where the soap hose connects to the pump. The manual says to straighten a large paper clip and gently push it into the fitting until you feel resistance (about an inch). Then as you push a little harder you should feel the anti-siphon ball move a bit. It's hard to describe but you should feel that anti-siphon ball kinda un-seating and then re-seating. The ball gets gunked up with soap residue as well as lime and calcium from water sitting in the pump.

You may even want to put a few drops of penetrating oil in the fitting and let it sit overnight.

Good Luck!