Removing mower deck on JD 318

/ Removing mower deck on JD 318 #1  

timb

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 4710/reverser, JD 318 (still needs TLC), JD LT160
A couple of questions for anyone knowledgeable about the old JD 300 tractors and getting the mower decks on and off.

I just picked up a 318 with the 50" deck. Came with the operator's manual for the tractor but that doesn't cover word one on the deck. (I've got the mower manual and all the tech/parts manuals on order from JD but they're not in yet). I want to change all the fluids/filters soon (I'm coming right up on a nice even 800 hours) and I believe that I will need to pull the deck and belly screen to get to the tranny filter.

Before I guess and do something dumb and take off something that isn't supposed to be messed with /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, what is the correct procedure to remove / install the deck?

There are the obvious spring-loaded pull pins/j pins - but what about the mule drive and the other "hanger links"? What is the right sequence? (And maybe most important - what is the re-mount procedure! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Any "secret hints" that won't be in the manual?

Thanks for any light anyone can shed!

Tim

/ Removing mower deck on JD 318 #2  
I bought the manual also for the 46 mower. I dont know if they will be the same but my guess is they will. I would wait till you have the manual. cause I always take mine out and refer to it as I am taking off/putting on. Mine is not the easiest mower in the world remove and put on, but then neither was the 47 I had on a 210. I found that the mule drive cover was pretty badly bashed up when I got the tractor, and did not like its lack of beef, so we made a new one out of 3/16 steel. Everything bolted back together as the old one had and I was wondering if I would have had to get longer bolts. Worked fine. My only real problem was figuring out the height adjustment, but again the manual had it all, and I finally understood it. LOL

/ Removing mower deck on JD 318 #3  
Here is how I did it with my 332 w/50".
First, pull the pins from the deck hanger (the ones that connect to the lift mechanism) toward the rear on top of the deck. You'll have to lift the deck a little to take the pressure off. Then, I pull the J-pins in the very front of the deck connecting it to the mule drive. I usually just leave the mule drive on if I'm going to put the deck back on. Then, pull the pins on the arms on the forward part of the deck. Now you should have the deck loose and be able to pull it through. A couple things to watch as you pull it out. First, watch the hangers on the lift mechanism. I usually leave them on, but as you are pulling out make sure they don't catch. Also, watch that the top of the rear guage wheel doesn't catch on the main hydro hose on the transmission. As you pull the deck through, you'll have to cock it a little sideways to avoid hitting these things. Then for installation, the reverse order.

I don't know if this is the proper sequence as per the book, but it always worked for me.

/ Removing mower deck on JD 318
Thanks guys - doesn't sound like there are any real surprises in the process - although I'll have to stare at the mule drive again to see how that comes off.

Actually the process doesn't sound too hard compared to some I've dealt with. But in just looking at the deck and how it connects I was looking for a way for just the "horizontal" plate and connecting clevises to come off of the mule drive - not realizing that whole thing (apparently) comes off in one piece. The parts diagrams on jdparts didn't really clarify the issue. Hopefully all the manuals I ordered will come in the next couple of weeks.

If the gauge wheels swiveled like casters it would be even easier. Have to see if I can "invent" something along those lines someday as replacment gauge wheel assemblies. (Might even help during use while in tight turns.) I believe JD's newer bigger (garden tractor) decks now provide for turning the wheels 90 degrees for just that reason.

Thanks again.

/ Removing mower deck on JD 318 #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe JD's newer bigger (garden tractor) decks now provide for turning the wheels 90 degrees for just that reason.)</font>

That's exactly how my 62C deck works on my 2210. After the wheels are turned 90deg, the deck just rolls right out. Good thing being the the deck weighs 200lbs!

/ Removing mower deck on JD 318 #6  
If you have not done so before observe how the mule gear can be removed and add with no tools when the deck is off. ( it can possible fall on your foot, in my case it just missed )

/ Removing mower deck on JD 318 #7  
Similar to some of your question and answers. I'm trying to install a new secondary pulley on my 46" deck. There are small bolts that are used to clamp the two covers in place. There is one specific bolt right above the main drive pulley. I can't get the secondary belt on with that bolt there and I can't get that bolt off because they are welded to the underside of the deck. Do I need to remove the main drive pulley to get the secondary belt on? Thanks everyone.