kohler courage 25 vs briggs endurance 28

/ kohler courage 25 vs briggs endurance 28 #1  

lowrat

Tractor
4430 john deere
Looking for a new mower and can't decide between what engine to go with. Any info is welcome

/ kohler courage 25 vs briggs endurance 28 #2  
I have had all kinds of engines on mowers. My least favorite by far is the Kohler. They are much more fuel hungry than most with equal HP. When given the choice i will take a Kawi or Honda motor. I just bought a Walker mower that has a Kohler 23hp. The mower is fantastic, the engine ImO is the shortfall. But the only other option was a extra 3k for a diesel. Good luck

/ kohler courage 25 vs briggs endurance 28 #3  
I have used Kohler engines on many different mowers over 40 years, generators, welders, pumps also, and have found them to be of high quality and need little maintenance.

Every Dixie Chopper I have has a Kohler on it, and all my pressure washers has Honda engines on them.

It all depends on what you know about the engines and how to maintain them.

If you shop around, you can find some good deals on the engine you need or an engine that will operate the machine.

/ kohler courage 25 vs briggs endurance 28 #4  
I have a Kohler Magnum 18HP now for 22 years still running fine, and a Kawasaki 25HP on the newer Ferris, and many B&S engines 3.5-9 HP on lawnmowers, tillers and snowblowers.

All the engines are still running fine and start with one-two pulls (even the 3.5 HP B&S mower from 1978 after much abuse and hitting rocks etc).

I work on (adjust and take care of) several of the newer B&S 17-24 HP machines in MTD style riders my neighbors have and they work fine, even with abuse - but they arent as robust as the Kawasaki or Kohler in my opinion.

My preference though is Kawasaki - the 25HP on the Ferris uses less fuel than the 18HP kohler - of course its 20 years newer too.

Any engine or equipment that is taken care of properly will run a long time, so care and maintenance is # 1 for anything you buy.

Carl

/ kohler courage 25 vs briggs endurance 28 #5  
I would personally go with the Briggs in this case, however, if the choice was between a Briggs and Kohler command or magnum then my choice would be the Kohler. As I understand it, the Courage engines were introduced as a low cost competition for the consumer market. I have yet to see a Courage engine on a full fledged commercial unit. I've heard both good and bad about them.

Jim