string beans plants being eaten

/ string beans plants being eaten #11  
Re: string beans pants being eaten

It is frustrating, I just replaced my fence after a bear knocked it down to get to my bee hives. Dam thing destroyed a years worth of work and killed 3 hives.
I had blackberrys grow too large and short out my electric fence. So I had to build a new trellis to let the blackberries grow over the fence, and I added another doorway just so i didnt feel trapped in the garden. I am going out to plant some thing in about 5 mins. Ill post some pics.

/ string beans plants being eaten #12  

i've not done this for beans but i think the idea of low tunnels covered with some kind of netting would work just fine and not be expensive. i use #9 wire cut into 6' lengths and then bent into a hoop shape by sticking one end in the ground and then the other. i cover this with row cover material but there's no reason why you couldn't cover it with some cheap plastic netting. i plan to do this with my next lettuce planting to protect from deer. the length of the wire of course depends on the width of your planting bed.

/ string beans plants being eaten #13  
That ain't no cat.........that's a tiger.:D

/ string beans plants being eaten #14  
That ain't no cat.........that's a tiger.:D

His name is Tiggs....I picked the name because he had the striped coat, after about a year I went to the Urban Dictionary to see if the name meant anything...that's how I learned why he was always "hanging around" :laughing:

/ string beans plants being eaten #15  

Something was eating some of our stuff... turned out to be a groundhog. We put up a 1 foot tall electric fence and have not had problems since.

My boss had problems, put up deer fence and still had problems... with the game camera, his problem was a groundhog, too.

Jeez Teg that "hog" is awfully cute, mugging for the camera like that:laughing:
sure you don't want to make a pet out of him? :laughing::laughing::laughing: After you feed him all of your veggies:laughing:

James K0UA

/ string beans plants being eaten #16  

I have deer everywhere out here and none have ever gone over my 5 foot high fence (knock wood) in 15 years of gardening. A 2 foot high rabbit fence zip tied to the bottom of the 5 foot high fence pretty well keeps out anything else. However, since this stray cat decided to make his home here 2 1/2 years ago the number of small varmints that would raid my garden has REALLY taken a sharp decline.

That looks like our cat, he keeps the rabbit population down here. Now if I could teach him to ger the moles.

/ string beans plants being eaten #17  
We use plant skydd on the hostas and such - if you spray your beans just as they leaf out before they start growing beans it should protect them for the entire growing season.

Untreated hostas here get mowed down by deer and we have about 1000 hostas and maybe three have been eaten by deer. Its a combination of pigs blood that smells bad and deer stay away for 4-5 months - I apply it using my Stihl Backpack blower/sprayer.

Carl