Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default string beans plants being eaten

GRRRRRR 3 days ago, I spreaded the rabbit,deer repellent granules in my garden to keep the animals out and yesterday I saw HALF of my string bean crop leaves eaten!!!!! I saw a couple small bunnies hopping around, couple different sizes of deer across my garden so its not working. Question is should I attempt to replant beans in same spot or give up for summer?
    Last edited by radioman; 06-09-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: string beans pants being eaten

You've plenty of time to re-plant green beans.

However, you might as well surrender the field, if you don't want to mess with fencing of some kind. We garden for market and we'd have nothing if we didn't use fencing.

Yes, it is horribly frustrating.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Tractor
    L2800.

Something was eating some of our stuff... turned out to be a groundhog. We put up a 1 foot tall electric fence and have not had problems since.

My boss had problems, put up deer fence and still had problems... with the game camera, his problem was a groundhog, too.

I never had a deer problem, but when the cottontails were doing damage in my garden a neighbor told me to spread blood meal around the garden and the rabbits wouldn't cross it. It actually worked for me, but of course you need to re-apply it after a rain, and it sure does make the grass grow thick and fast around the garden.
    Bird

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Yeras ago I lived in the Sacramento River delta and a neighbor had an extensive garden that occupied a large amount of her time. One day someone left a gate open and the cows got in. Anything not eaten was trampled flat. Frustrating indeed.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

We have rabbits everplace and without a fence most everything in the garden would be destroyed in short order. You have plenty of time to replant but have you considered putting a 2 foot high rabbit guard fence around your beans? It does not have to have many posts nor be very tight.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

I probably have enough time to replant -- but how to stop the darn animals? I used to put a 5 foot high deer fence up every year after planting but gave up on that. I thought about getting hardware cloth (small square wire) and bend it to a U shape to cover the plants. does anyone like this idea?

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    -- but how to stop the darn animals?
    Grow grass, it's a whole lot easier.
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    I probably have enough time to replant -- but how to stop the darn animals? I used to put a 5 foot high deer fence up every year after planting but gave up on that. I thought about getting hardware cloth (small square wire) and bend it to a U shape to cover the plants. does anyone like this idea?
    That would be a lot of trouble now and later and relatively expensive, if you have much garden. For rabbits, a two foot poultry netting (chicken wire) would probably work. For deer it's got to be about 7 feet. My main garden (50 x 100) has a 7 foot deer fence attached to a 4 ft field wire which I've attached a two foot chicken wire level with the ground. Nothing gets in except the birds which aren't a problem. Digging 6 inch corner posts holes by hand and driving 6 ft T posts was a lot of work. The deer net is held up by 1/2 inch pvc water pipe attached to the above solid posts. I garden every year now, with peace of mind. Now.......if it would just rain. At one time, the deer population was 200 per square mile and squirrels over ran my place as the city development surged my way
    Kubota B2620 HST

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    That would be a lot of trouble now and later and relatively expensive, if you have much garden. For rabbits, a two foot poultry netting (chicken wire) would probably work. For deer it's got to be about 7 feet. My main garden (50 x 100) has a 7 foot deer fence attached to a 4 ft field wire which I've attached a two foot chicken wire level with the ground. Nothing gets in except the birds which aren't a problem. Digging 6 inch corner posts holes by hand and driving 6 ft T posts was a lot of work. The deer net is held up by 1/2 inch pvc water pipe attached to the above solid posts. I garden every year now, with peace of mind. Now.......if it would just rain. At one time, the deer population was 200 per square mile and squirrels over ran my place as the city development surged my way
    I have deer everywhere out here and none have ever gone over my 5 foot high fence (knock wood) in 15 years of gardening. A 2 foot high rabbit fence zip tied to the bottom of the 5 foot high fence pretty well keeps out anything else. However, since this stray cat decided to make his home here 2 1/2 years ago the number of small varmints that would raid my garden has REALLY taken a sharp decline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -blackberry-pics-vol-1-257-a  
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast