We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #1  

Anonymous Poster

Specifically, we need a mower for the single purpose of mowing a Xmas tree plantation. We have been using a 42" low end lawn tractor, and it is rapidly showing the abuse. Our big tractor is . . . well, too big.

The mower needs to meet the following:

Commercial quality
Hydrostatic
Able to handle bumpy ground (ex pasture)
Able to handle moderate hills
Able to handle "taller than the average lawn" grass
48, 50, 52, 54, or 60 (maybe) inch cut
Sane controls (no ^&*%$!# reverse lockouts)
Easy handling for close mowing around a gazillion little trees
Comfortable for long mowing sessions
Rear discharge or mulching (preferred)
Easy to maintain

I've looked at the Cub Cadet "Tank" series of ZTRs and have quotes for a M60 with mulch kit at $6950. A mulching M48 would be $6500. This is an awful lot of money for a mower, but we really need to bite the bullet and buy something new soon.

So, pretend you are spending our money. What would you do?

All comments and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SnowRidge

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #2  
My landscaper friends all talk of Hustler and Exmark as being the cream of the crop when it comes to ZTR's. I can't help you on the price. I would look at the Kubota ZD's as well.
Will

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #3  
Since I'm spending your money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Power Trac PT425. I know it is not single purpose, but it meets all of your other requirements.

<font color="blue"> Commercial quality
Hydrostatic
Able to handle bumpy ground (ex pasture)
Able to handle moderate hills
Able to handle "taller than the average lawn" grass
48, 50, 52, 54, or 60 (maybe) inch cut
Sane controls (no ^&*%$!# reverse lockouts)
Easy handling for close mowing around a gazillion little trees
Comfortable for long mowing sessions
Rear discharge or mulching (preferred)
Easy to maintain
</font>

Link to more information on PT425.
Link to attachments page.

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money
Landscaper here. Ditto the comments on Excel & Hustler. I believe Cub Cadet is new to making commercial mowers, but may be wrong on that. Either way never saw, or networked with anyone using one, so I can't comment on them. A good quality commercial mower that can handle your needs & be user friendly & user comfortable will be in the 7 - 10 grand price range. Make sure you find a good dealer in your area and buy one of the brands they sell\support, as one of the most important things is getting good service for the inevitable break downs that occur. A good dealer will be able to let you demo various choices to help you pick the one that's best for you, so definitely try before you buy. You might have to pay a rental fee, but it's worth it to get the machine you want. Then if you do purchase they'll usually knock that rental fee off. Good luck!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Power Trac PT425. I know it is not single purpose, but it meets all of your other requirements. )</font>

Power Trac, hmmmm. Looking around their site, I see the PT-422 and PT-425 seem to be almost identical except for the ROPS, engine, and warranty. Is that true? Actually, the PT-180 seems like it might work, although the 45" mower is a shade smaller than we would like.

Moss, any idea who makes the engines for these Power Tracs?

SnowRidge

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #6  
Snowridge--

This group'll LOVE to spend your money!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If investing in a system is an option, the PowerTrac is well worth a look because they include loaders, tree augers, and other tools which would be very useful, I would think, in your operation. You would want to cruise the PowerTrac section of this board for the ups and downs of the loyal PT owners among us. You don't say how big your big tractor is, but a smaller Kubota, Deere, or New Holland, say a TC25D or TC33D with Supersteer and a three-point mower (rather than a belly mower) would be pretty zippy around all your trees--not quite a ZTR, but surprisingly good in close quarters. The Supersteer shortens the tractor's turning radius in tight quarters and these tractors all have very effective power steering and suspension seats are available to smooth out the bumps. Then you could also use the attachments on your big tractor, too. With a compact tractor, you could choose a rotary cutter or finish mower depending on the state of particular areas, and also have a front-end loader which would work between your trees and a hole auger. If you're committed to a dedicated mowing machine, then a ZTR is probably the way to go because of all the work between rows and trees. I think the Cub Cadet Tank series, although relatively new, is worth consideration; I have not used one, but they are said to be built like they're named. The Exmarks and Hustlers (and probably the Cubs, too) are designed for smooth lawns; great machines capable of working hours and hours every day, but not ideal for a bumpy environment--no suspension seating, small wheels, etc.

If you find good dealers, they will bring any of the above (except the PT--no dealers) to your farm for a test mow. I assume you'll invite us all over to help for that part, too!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You don't say how big your big tractor is, )</font>

35HP Branson. It's way too big to mow the plantation. The seedlings are on a 8x6 grid. Next years will probably be tighter; 7x6 seems likely.

Right now we are using a 42" lawn tractor, and it is just about the right size, although a 48 to 54 inch cut would save us one pass down the rows. The lawn tractor is just too slow and too lightly built for the job, and the small front wheels make for a rough ride.

Anything bigger than a 60" cut will simply not fit, and due to us getting sloppy in a couple of spots, a 60" mower is problematic.

SnowRidge

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #8  
<font color="blue"> Power Trac, hmmmm. Looking around their site, I see the PT-422 and PT-425 seem to be almost identical except for the ROPS, engine, and warranty. Is that true? Actually, the PT-180 seems like it might work, although the 45" mower is a shade smaller than we would like.

Moss, any idea who makes the engines for these Power Tracs? </font>

The PT425 has more lift height on the front arms(8" I think).

They make a 48" finish mower and a 60" finish mower and an awsome 48" brush hog.

The PT422 came with a Robbin engine last I heard. The PT425 is a Kohler Command.

What really makes the system is the quick attach feature. Implement changed in 15 seconds. Click on my animated tractor picture in my signature and it will take you to my web site where there are many pictures, movies and other stuff about my PT425. It really is a very versatile, handy and tank tough machine.

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #9  
We currently have 7 acres of Christmas trees, albeit on a mostly flat surface. Ours are on a 6x6 planting grid. We also used a Craftsman riding mower with a 48 inch deck and it was slowly killing it. Riding/garden variety tractors are made for lawn use only, anything else works it to death. We just purchased a Kioti CK20HST and added a 48" bush hog to it. The bush hogs allows you to mow at almost full speed, and with the rows sprayed, it gets all the grass in one pass. This setup works great...for now. In about 3 years when the trees are bigger (half are 2-3 years old, half just planted) we'll need to drop down to a 42" bush hog to minimize damage to the lower branches. My father-in-law built "guards" around the front and rear tires to scoop/push branches out of the way while mowing, as opposed to having them go under the tires.

/ We Need A Mower -- Spend Our Money #10  
I just got a Wright Sentar 52" commercial mower off ebay for around $4500 delivered. It's built super strong and has the zero turn you may be looking for. It also is very short unlike a tractor/bushhog setup. You can mow up to 9mph and the cutting height can be adjusted from 4.5" to .5" very quickly.
mower
I also has a very low CG so it's good on moderate slopes. Check out their website for a little more info. wright home

gary