Wheeled string trimmer - good tool?

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #11  
I had a Troy Bilt but sold it for the same reason already mentioned. To much to move on hilly ground. Other than that, with the Oregon "X" plastic line it was a beast.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #12  
I have a Swisher wheel trimmer. Bought it 7 years ago. Used it a few times. It's heavy and awkward to use. Decided to get a good commercial grade string trimmer (Tanaka 245PF, $299) that lasted until a few weeks ago when it lost power. Replaced it with a comparable RedMax (by Husqvarna, $349). I mow 1/2 mile of fenceline and ditch three or 4 times a year plus mowing around almond trees in my orchard plus the normal landscape work. I use the snot of of my string trimmer.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #13  
I have a Poulan Pro Poulan Pro PPWT60022 - Trimmers. I have been very satisfied with it so far. After having back surgery, I was struggling using a hand-held trimmer for very long at a time. The walk behind really helped that problem, especially trimming fence rows. The best trimmer line that I have found to use with it is Arnold Corporation 490-030-0034 Professional Twisted- Edge Trimmer Line - .155. It is some tough line. I still use my hand-held trimmer some but mostly use a combination of the walk behind and liquid.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #14  
I have a Swisher wheel trimmer. Bought it 7 years ago. Used it a few times. It's heavy and awkward to use. Decided to get a good commercial grade string trimmer (Tanaka 245PF, $299) that lasted until a few weeks ago when it lost power. Replaced it with a comparable RedMax (by Husqvarna, $349). I mow 1/2 mile of fenceline and ditch three or 4 times a year plus mowing around almond trees in my orchard plus the normal landscape work. I use the snot of of my string trimmer.

hmm.. I found the swisher to be easier to use than a similar DR.. lighter too.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #15  
I just picked up a swisher model with the 190cc engine. Have used it once so far and it seems to work well. The handle bars are adjustable so I was able to make it comfortable for my stature. It seems to push ok but I am still getting the hang of it.

What I really want to try is mounting it to the FEL to trim area on the hill I otherwise wouldn't even attempt as well as mow/trip around the property line.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #16  
We have a Swisher 6.5 hp string trimmer. It is one tough machine, but yes it is heavy about 100 pounds, wheeling it up and down the hills is hard work.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #17  
I have a craftsman wheeled trimmer. I have had it more than 10 years and I still love it. It's like a hand powered bush hog. It will also cut like a push mower. I will give them a high recomendation!
I'll echo this.

Before I had a brushhog for the tractor this was all I used. 6.5(?) hp and that's plenty, I wouldn't want the extra weight of a larger engine. Rasseling one on rough or sloping ground is hard work but I think better than any alternative. Here's a link to Sears present model. It says 75 lbs, I don't think mine (from 2001) is over 50 lbs.

I should try the HD 'string' mentioned in this thread. My experience is as little as a few minutes to destroy a string if there are surprise obstacles - random discarded pier blocks etc - in tall grass. These do a great job of plowing a path through blackberries.

It's a specialty tool for use where a standard lawn mower would bog down, or would be destroyed by rocks. And you can push its nose into difficult spots where a mower won't fit. I think the hp is much greater than a handheld string trimmer but I've never compared it in similar work.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #18  
I've got a Swisher and it is hard to push around on rough or hilly ground. From what I hear from others, it's common to all these trimmers because of their two wheel design. However, it has it's uses. For those considering it, I suggest you try a Swisher first by watching sales at Tractor Supply. I got mine for about $200 on sale, a far cry from the more expensive DR and Troybilt models. You can then try it out and decide if you need the more expensive model, and what to look for if you get it.

Since I have a very long drive with edges not friendly to a rotary cutter, I am seriously considering making some rig to hold the Swisher at the side of my FEL so I could cut the edges without breaking my back pushing the thing. Has anyone ever tried that?

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #19  
I've got a Swisher and it is hard to push around on rough or hilly ground. From what I hear from others, it's common to all these trimmers because of their two wheel design. However, it has it's uses. For those considering it, I suggest you try a Swisher first by watching sales at Tractor Supply. I got mine for about $200 on sale, a far cry from the more expensive DR and Troybilt models. You can then try it out and decide if you need the more expensive model, and what to look for if you get it.

Since I have a very long drive with edges not friendly to a rotary cutter, I am seriously considering making some rig to hold the Swisher at the side of my FEL so I could cut the edges without breaking my back pushing the thing. Has anyone ever tried that?

That sounds like a great idea. Let the tractor do the heavy work. Please post pics when you do this.