Wheeled string trimmer - good tool?

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #31  
i buy the heavy triangle profile 'red' line in 1000' spools from lawn stores or walmart.. whoever is cheaper.. it goes a few more miles than some of the round stuff... the price i save on the bulk buy is quite nice..

Gosh, I would hate to put all the work required into using 1000' of the heavier line! Twenty feet of the heavier gauge line seems to last pretty long for me. I've bought 150' or so spools but just the thought of 1000' is enough to wear me out.

Ken

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #32  
walmart had a sale a while back.. and the 1000' spool was something like 2.5x or 3x the price of the 150' spool. that's like half price.. so I got it.. ;) probably never need string in my life again.. :)

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #33  
Just a +1 on soaking your nylon line in water. I was using a spool every time I edged the yard; either wearing fast or breaking large pieces. After a good soaking I now bump the head maybe 4 times.

Also, I dose ALL my fuel for my small engines (including my motorcycles) with Seafoam. Since I started doing that I never have any carb or running issues anymore.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #34  
I am seriously looking at the DR Trimmer/Mower (wheeled string trimmers), either the 6.75 Pro or 8.75 Pro-XL.
Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated, as always!

Frank

I bought the self-propelled DR model a few years ago and I am verry happy with it. I do agree I would not want to push one around that wasn't self-propelled.

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool?
Well, I got the DR trimmer and had a few chances to use it on my fairly hilly property. The thing seemed a lot more weight to wrestle up and down some of the inclines than I expected. I was working with weeds that were pretty high even if scrubby and I had to learn how to handle it. After a few runs, and deciding to move horizontally across the steeper slopes, it seems a lot easier.
I am managing to break a lot of strings with it, but this is the first cutting over rough ground, where I find rocks sticking up, broken off branches and stumps, etc, all which will cause an instant break in the blue line. I tried the green thinner stuff but it was no better. I did find that reducing the rpm gives me a chance to find the objects and back off before the string breaks, but I was going through about a string every 10 minutes for a while. Soaking the line in water did not seem to help much, but I plan to give it more than just a couple of hours and see if it gets more pliable. At least the strings are easy to change!
I have to say, the areas that I am cutting would be just about impossible to get except with the DR or a string trimmer. The string trimmers that I tried did not have enough power to cut down the nasty weeds, especially the dry stalky ones. This guy does the job, for sure. I am hoping that it goes a lot smoother the next time I go over the areas that I have cleared of obstacles. I did some trimming of mostly normal grass around some trees and it does a great job on that. Also I found that I can run the thing around my property and end up at the low point, at which time I can bungie the handle down to the trailer hitch on my RTV and tow it back up to the garage with no effort. Still, I wonder if I should have gotten the propelled model. I will have to think on that - there was a pretty big bump in cost.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Frank

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #36  
walmart had a sale a while back.. and the 1000' spool was something like 2.5x or 3x the price of the 150' spool. that's like half price.. so I got it.. ;) probably never need string in my life again.. :)

Well you know how Murphy goes. Your current trimmer will die before you use all of that string and the next one will need a different size ;-)

Ken

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #37  
Well you know how Murphy goes. Your current trimmer will die before you use all of that string and the next one will need a different size ;-)

Ken

i may actually have to buy my next trimmer with that 'legacy' spool in mind.. to make sure i can use it al up... :)

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #38  
i may actually have to buy my next trimmer with that 'legacy' spool in mind.. to make sure i can use it al up... :)

*** ROFL ***

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #39  
i will say one thing.. I used to be pretty carefull when weedeating around the horse fence ( 2x4 no climb under 3 board black ).. as that stuff eats trimmer string.. well.. now I'm a bit more cavaleir about it. not to mention this heave red string actually handles the fencing better and doesn't get cut off like the smaller round profile stuff I had been using..