Wheeled string trimmer - good tool?

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #1  

Franko

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800/RTV900
I am seriously looking at the DR Trimmer/Mower (wheeled string trimmers), either the 6.75 Pro or 8.75 Pro-XL. I plan to use it to trim the weeds along our rock-infested driveway edges. The driveway edges drop off into ravines at points, and rises steeply at banks at other points (but still manage to put up huge pokeweeds, blackberries, and small trees that really encroach on our driveway. I can't reach them with my bush hog, and the ground is too rough for my push mower. I sometimes drive along the ravine edge with my riding mower, but the rocks and risk of falling into the ravines is just too much.

So I have used a series of handheld string trimmers for these areas but I am absolutely tired of hauling those trimmers around, and fooling with the carbs to try to keep the darn 2 cycle engines running. (I am convinced that the new solvents that they use in gas have destroyed all my trimmer engines). But getting back to trimmers, have any of you used this type of gear for trimming on slopes and along driveways? Are the units fairly easy to handle going up and down? I guess my concerns is how long the strings will last when you have 6 or more HP driving them, and how long the old operator will last manhandling these 70-80 lb units around, even with those 16 inch wheels. I guess lastly, is there really any advantage with getting the 8.75 hp vs the 6.75 hp? It is only 8 more pounds.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated, as always!

Frank

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #2  
I have a craftsman wheeled trimmer. I have had it more than 10 years and I still love it. It's like a hand powered bush hog. It will also cut like a push mower. My brother and 2 friends have bought them after using mine. I will give them a high recomendation!

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #3  
Well here are my thoughts, I have had The DR trimmer for about 12 years.. I havent used it for the past 10 years hardly at all. I don't think I even started it last year. Here is why: It is a good product, and works well, BUT. I just cant pull and push the big heavy thing up and down these hills. When I lived in Willard Mo. which is much flatter, I used it a lot and liked it. But here in Branson, it is useless to me. Just not enough flat ground. I use a handheld string trimmer.. The strings last a good long while, as they are very large strings. It will cut light brush with ease, and is easy to go along a fence line or along a building using the tilting feature. You have the torque of a large 4 cycle engine working for you, and a lot of the time I ran the thing just a little above idle.. Mine is for sale if you want it.

James K0UA

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #4  
I am seriously looking at the DR Trimmer/Mower (wheeled string trimmers) ... to trim the weeds along our rock-infested driveway edges. The driveway edges drop off into ravines at points, and rises steeply at banks at other points ... the ground is too rough for my push mower. Frank

Franko - I have had a DR Trimmer "PRO" model since 1997. I specifically bought this model with the Tecumseh Vector XL/C 6HP engine to mow my pond bank. This engine has a carburetor designed to be used on steeper slopes. My experience is similar to k0ua's comment. I have used the DR very little the last 5 years. I have some rocks and bricks on/in my pond bank. I have found that the bicycle type wheels do not work well around rocks and on uneven ground. These wheels seem to hang up on almost anything. When I did use it around the pond, I went along the water line, rather than up and down the slope. I am 5'-10" and found the DR too hard on my back to handle going down a slope. I am actually going in the opposite direction from what you are considering - I have been using a borrowed 4-stroke hand-held trimmer this year and am very happy with it. Walking the pond shoreline with something that is NOT trying to roll on the ground has been much easier on my body. I will probably be buying my own unit next year. Best wishes!

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #5  
I haven't used mine in a number of years. It works very well on SMOOTH, LEVEL ground. I don't have smooth level ground and it's too hard to push along the rough ground or uphill. I've been trying to figure out a way to mount it on a tractor or 4 wheeler.

Ken

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #6  
I haven't used mine in a number of years. It works very well on SMOOTH, LEVEL ground. I don't have smooth level ground and it's too hard to push along the rough ground or uphill. I've been trying to figure out a way to mount it on a tractor or 4 wheeler.

Ken

Hey now, that is an idea.. same problem here.. worked fine in Willard Mo. smooth much more level ground.. don't work worth crap here in Branson, (might be ok if I was 21 again) Just too hard to push/pull around.
Maybe a SSQA mount of some kind on a plate that sticks out to the right lets say.. crank up the 4 cycle Engine.. It has lots of torque and drive around on the ole 4wd Kioti and cut weeds.. hmm.. thats got me thinking.

James K0UA

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #7  
i have a swisher model.. looks similar to the craftsman.. i love mine. lets me trim walk paths around fences where I can't get the hog to.. and is too thick for the rider mower. got mine from tractor supply.

it has pretty much obsoleted my push mower. havn't started that in 4 years... any trimming the push did is now covered by the swisher.. plus half the string trimming..

one thing.. wear long pants and eye protection! ;) ;)

i'm not kidding!

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #8  
i have a swisher model.. looks similar to the craftsman.. i love mine. lets me trim walk paths around fences where I can't get the hog to.. and is too thick for the rider mower. got mine from tractor supply.

it has pretty much obsoleted my push mower. havn't started that in 4 years... any trimming the push did is now covered by the swisher.. plus half the string trimming..

one thing.. wear long pants and eye protection! ;) ;)

i'm not kidding!

No joke, if you crank that thing up it will throw rocks half the size of your fist when the strings are new and long. But it sure will cut down some weeds.. Lots of torque and cut power..

James K0UA

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #9  
There was a time that carpal tunnel syndrome stopped me from using the string trimmer I had, so I sold it to my brother, and I bought the biggest DR string trimmer/mower with electric start and the beaver blade. And of course that was when we lived on 10 acres. It was a great machine for me, mowing borrow ditches, under fences, around the barn, etc. And besides that my wife used it and liked it. She's still never used any other string trimmer.:laughing:

/ Wheeled string trimmer - good tool? #10  
my buddy stopped by and saw it and asked me to bring it to his house to 'demonstrate' it one weekend. At least he had drinks and BBQ :)