Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower

/ Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower #1  

Jakewb

Tractor
White LT1650
Need some advice on getting a good riding mower that can stand up to a 2-acre fairly rough lawn/field combination. The grass can get as high as 6" before I can get to it and occasionally gets as high as 10 inches before it's dry enough to cut. That's not the rule, but it has happened in the past so it's always a possibility. The White LT1650 is about 8 years old and has just about had it. The plastic body has long been broken up and gone so I'm thinking of an all-metal body that should be able to take the rough ground.

Can I get a little help, here?

Jake

/ Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower #2  
Welcome to TBN from Kansas.

Chad

/ Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower #4  
   / Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower #5  
Jakewb said:
Need some advice on getting a good riding mower that can stand up to a 2-acre fairly rough lawn/field combination. The grass can get as high as 6" before I can get to it and occasionally gets as high as 10 inches before it's dry enough to cut. That's not the rule, but it has happened in the past so it's always a possibility. The White LT1650 is about 8 years old and has just about had it. The plastic body has long been broken up and gone so I'm thinking of an all-metal body that should be able to take the rough ground.

Can I get a little help, here?

Jake

Welcome to TBN. When grass gets about 6" it can really choke the average yard mower. Consider one of the many mini tractors available where you would have a choice of a finish mower or bush hog or both. Look around here on TBN for an area best suited for your question to maximize response. Not many read the area.

/ Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower #6  
How much money do you have to spend? I went the route of using riding mowers on my hilly and sometimes rough yard. Beat the crap out of them and ended up buying a subcompact tractor. A kubota BX2350 to be exact. It also has a end loader and rear blade for moving dirt and snow. Do you have other uses for a small tractor. The disadvantage of a small tractor is cost, its easy to spend over $10,000. The advantage is it will most likely be 4 wheel drive, water cooled, and last many years, maybe a lifetime.

/ Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower #7  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the General Lawn & Garden Forum.

/ Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower #8  
Welcome to TBN Jake!

Couple of suggestions - pending your budget;

1. Used John Deere 316/318 or 425/445 range in price from $1000 to $3000 and up for the newer 425/445 series - good machines garden tractor variety.

2. Cub Cadet 782/982/1811/1862 - these machines are steel and have hydros, and last a long time $1000-2000 high price range should be a real nice one or the Cub 3000 series about $2500 they are newer..

3. Subcompact 4WD - Kubota BX 1860 and so on, expect these to be $6-8K used

4. Compact older 4WD Kubota - B1700, B7200, you can find these for $2-5K in decent condition with either a rear mower or belly mower.

Depends on your budget and if you are handy with a wrench. All of the above machines will cut 8-10" of grass some faster some slower but all will do it.

Carl

/ Need help deciding on a riding lawn mower
Thanks to all for the advice. You all have buoyed my arguments with The Queen (wifey) who begrudges maybe bigger and more power might be acceptable.