What to do With All this Wood?

/ What to do With All this Wood? #1  

cartod

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4066, 1023
I literally have tons of wood. Mostly mature oak cherry and maple. What would you do with all of this. I have about 10 times what is pictured and still have More to cut in order to make room for our home. Some of the trees are over 5' in diameter.

photo-102.jpg

photo-103.jpg

/ What to do With All this Wood? #2  
Sell it to a logging company.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #3  
Wow, nice logs......you will have no problem selling those to a logger. I sold some 24" cherry trees to a logger for $500 standing.....and that was 5 or 6 years ago.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #4  
I think I would have had a logger look at them standing.

Commercial loggers are looking for clear and straight stems, cut to species-specific standard length(s) accepted by area mills, with a minimum diameter at the top end. Anything not making the grade is generally pulp, pallet or fire wood.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #5  
Place an add on craigslist, newspaper etc. and sell it to wood workers, carvers, etc. you will get huge money for it. Logging companies will rip you off and buy it WAY below what it's worth.

Plenty of guys would make tables, clocks, etc out of them.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #6  
A further idea would be to get a saw and turn it into slabs , then sell it , in other words value add and make some real money

/ What to do With All this Wood? #7  
If I were only so LUCKY! Oh man... I would buy me or build me a
saw and get to the gettin' make dimensionalized lumber. Fun stuff
and profitable it can be! I have not done extensive research but
if I needed a SawMill tomorrow I think I would go shopping HERE

/ What to do With All this Wood? #8  
If I were only so LUCKY! Oh man... I would buy me or build me a
saw and get to the gettin' make dimensionalized lumber. Fun stuff
and profitable it can be! I have not done extensive research but
if I needed a SawMill tomorrow I think I would go shopping HERE
They send you a good kit. If you need a good sawmill tomorrow you need to buy one already put together and calibrated. It took me almost a day to put together my Woodmizer LT10 by myself.
8x6SAM_0365.jpg

/ What to do With All this Wood? #9  
I you are cutting logs yourself make sure to eye up the log and not just cut everything in 8' sticks. Most places want at least 6" extra over( 8'6", 12'6" etc) Veneer logs need 8" over with no defects. Try to steer clear of 10' logs. In you pic it looks like you left at least a foot of log on the stump! :( Best bet would be to get a professional evaluation and research your selling options.

/ What to do With All this Wood?
I you are cutting logs yourself make sure to eye up the log and not just cut everything in 8' sticks. Most places want at least 6" extra over( 8'6", 12'6" etc) Veneer logs need 8" over with no defects. Try to steer clear of 10' logs. In you pic it looks like you left at least a foot of log on the stump! :( Best bet would be to get a professional evaluation and research your selling options.
My goal is to build a house, and the wood for now is just a byproduct. In order to remove the stumps I need to leave a higher stump to give the dozer leverage.