Pole Saw

/ Pole Saw #11  
I would like one that let the bar angle, maybe 45 degrees, so you can cut from the top down on a tall limb instead of the side.

Bruce

/ Pole Saw #12  
Ditto everything HCJtractor said above in both posts.:thumbsup: In my limited experience with the Sthil professional, he is right on.

The only thing I can add is: lifting the operator in the bucket of your FEL is a good way to bend the pole, or worse.:duh: When the operator is on the ground, all he has to manage is the balance of the saw and the reaction of the limb being cut. In the bucket, the operator also has to manage his balance, kinda like a circus act.

/ Pole Saw #13  
I have a stihl weed eater that cost $200 with the saw att. I can put on it, it won't reach as high as the one with the shaft that breaks down in the middle but is a lot less $$$ too. I also have a manual pole saw. they both work well. I can cut limbs 20' up with the manual easily, and have cut higher. If you get a manual pole saw DON'T get a happy homeowner type if you plan on using it much. I got mine from a company that builds trucks power companys, ect. It cuts very well, I also got a hand saw from them and with small limbs I can cut them off before you can crank a saw. With tree saws quality is everything.:2cents:

/ Pole Saw #14  
I have an Echo 266 motor unit with pole saw attachment and extra extension. I also use it as a straight shaft string trimmer. It is an excellent unit. Easy start, year after year.

I have concerns about the smaller Stihl engines since my MS180 chainsaw disaster (never ran well, flooded easily, eventually warped a head). The bigger Stihls seem to have a much better build quality.

/ Pole Saw #15  
I would like one that let the bar angle, maybe 45 degrees, so you can cut from the top down on a tall limb instead of the side.

Bruce

Stihl makes an adapter to set the angle at 30 degrees. Cannon makes a special bar thats angled on the bottom to do the same thing.
Cannon Bar Works - Pole Pruner

Ed

/ Pole Saw #16  
Thats interesting. I guess I never saw any problem with a straight blade, but I can see how the angled blade may prevent binding on a really big limb, but I don't seem to ever have a problem with that. The angle may be good but seems it would be a little awkward for most cuts that were not high up. Most of my cuts are at ground level or below 8 feet. The straight bar works just fine for me

/ Pole Saw #17  
I have never had a problem with the bar being straight either. I always make a small undercut then cut it from the top say it does not get pinched and it does not peel the bark off of the tree that way.

/ Pole Saw #18  
I cut lots of high limbs on fir trees. Pretty hard to cut from the top when this is the only way you can reach the limb at all.

/ Pole Saw #19  
I have a Stihl , best pole saw made . I use my saw to trim branches along a long gravel road and overhanging branches in my fields . Saw is a real work horse

/ Pole Saw #20  
I have the Sthil Kombi 130 that HCJtractor has. Great unit and he describes it well. That saw is the 4mix and you can tell it has more power than you would think. I have the graphite extension section and it isn't as off balance when it is on the saw as the normal extension section. Like HCJtractor said, it breaks down into small sections so I can haul it in almost anything, even the trunk of the car. The connecting hardware where it joins is a lot stronger than you usually see.