Pole Saw

/ Pole Saw #1  

Piperflyer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota3030HST
Who has experiance with pole saws. I'm looking to purchase one and would like comments on the pro's and con's of different brands.

/ Pole Saw #2  
Who has experiance with pole saws. I'm looking to purchase one and would like comments on the pro's and con's of different brands.

I have a Troybilt 27cc trimmer with a pole saw conversion that I bought at lowes to use as a pole saw. It cuts pretty good but is loud. You can buy different trimmers that fit it that may be quieter. I should have got a Stihl but the one I wanted was close to $600. If you are going to be doing much at all with it I recommend a Stihl professional. I have never been dissatisfied with a Stihl product. Stihl also has the kombi system that can be used as a pole saw and a bunch of other stuff that may be a option for you.

/ Pole Saw #3  
I have a Polan Pro trimer/pole saw combo, works good for my needs. Five years old and still works great, for $189.

dave

/ Pole Saw #4  
I bought the Stilhl pole saw about 12 years ago. I have never had a problem with it. I don't use it a lot, but it is very handy when I need it. It cuts very well and there is no other adjustment if you need to extend it to its full length.

/ Pole Saw #5  
I have rented a Stihl pole saw twice to trim tree limbs that were hanging over fences and my farm roads. Don't recall the model. It did everything I needed it to do. After a long day holding that thing up in the air I was always more than happy to return it. :)

/ Pole Saw #6  
I think the polan is the same as the troy bilt.

/ Pole Saw #7  

I assume you mean gasoline powered vs. a manual saw. I have tons of experience with both!! Must have cut down 10,000 trees with one. I like the Kombi unit from Stihl. They make several motors. I like the motor that is one size smaller than the largest, forget the number, but maybe a 130??? The saw attachment is universal and fits all motors. This is a great unit! I have two. I like its balance, its light weight, power, and the fact that it can be broken down into two short lengths so transporting it on a tractor or 4 wheeler is easy. It cuts extremely well. I can reach limbs about 10 feet up and it easily can be used with one hand while standing on tip toes. THey also make a 3 foot extension to increase the reach for those occasional taller limbs, but it detracts from the balance, so I try to use it only when absolutely necessary. For limbing roads, pathways, shooting lanes, it is superb. I can carry it all day, operate it with one hand, and it does not beat you up. If you must have a longer one, the Stihl pole saws are nice, but much heavier and will tire you more quickly. Their length makes them hard to transport and store. For cutting from ground level up to 10 feet,the KOMBI is the best!!! And that's where most of my cutting occurs. For the few limbs 10 to 25 feet up, I use a manual saw, but that's work!! Would not want to use it much.

The only down side is that the short chains will dull fairly fast, especially if you touch the ground, so you must be careful when trimming sapplings close to the ground. I can go through a chain in a day of heavy use. But the chains are cheap, and i cycle about a dozen resharpened ones. I can easily cut down trees up to 8 inchs in diameter, limb them and section the trunk. I use my grapple to clean up the mess. My typical use is to walk my roads and shooting lanes, dropping overhanging limbs and trees in the road, perpendicular if possible. I will cut several miles of roads in a morning. Just did this last weekend. I rarely touch the cutoffs, just let them fall. I then come back with my grapple and boxblade and drive forward scooping up the debris. As I drive. huge piles are collected and they tend to catch and grab other debris. The box blade catches whatever the grapple misses. When I have a mass I can't see over, I clamp it and push it to a pile or carry it away. I have it down to a science as I do this along 6 miles of woods roads and trails and to keep my shooting lanes open and wide.

Check out the Kombi! THe hedge trimmer attachment and sidewalk edger that are also interchangeable are also nice if you have need of those.

/ Pole Saw #8  
I have one of the Stihl professional units that 94BULLITT mentioned earlier - an HT-101 I think. It will give your arms a real workout if you are doing high pruning - at least it does mine - but I only have the regular shoulder strap, not the full harness/support system.

Been a good saw, although I had to have the carb replaced this year (note to self: don't leave gas in it over winter)

/ Pole Saw #9  
I have one of the Stihl professional units that 94BULLITT mentioned earlier - an HT-101 I think. It will give your arms a real workout if you are doing high pruning - at least it does mine - but I only have the regular shoulder strap, not the full harness/support system.

Been a good saw, although I had to have the carb replaced this year (note to self: don't leave gas in it over winter)

/ Pole Saw #10  

What do you plan to use it for??? Mass trimming like I described earlier or surgical tree pruning? If I wanted one for pruning ornamental trees that I wanted to look nice, and only wanted to cut minimal numbers of limbs, I would advise a good professional grade telescopic manual saw with a high quality Japanese blade. They are smooth and fast, leave clean cuts, and allow surgical precision. But they will also give you a workout if you have lots of cuts to make or cut thick limbs. A professional arborist supply store, like Sherrll Arborist supply, describes and sells various models. Stihl at one time sold a nice one that was a Japanese saw with a Stihl label, but sold also under other names. I have one of these also. So which saw is better depends on what you plan to use it for. Just don't buy the cheapo Home Depo pole saw. THey are junk.