Tractor
    John Deere 245

Default nrw member - looking for a recommendation for zero turn mower that is good on slopes

Hello, I am interested in recommendations for a zero turn mower. I have about two acres to mow, some of it is pretty steep. I currently have a JD series 200 mower and it barely stays upright on the slopes. I have heard that zero turns can be even more prone to slipping or rolling over than the standard yard tractors. I have looked at some zero turn Cub Cadets with a steering wheel. The salesman said that this would be a good choice. Does anyone have any experience with these zero turn mowers or any advice

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Default Re: nrw member - looking for a recommendation for zero turn mower that is good on sl

What kind of angle are we talking? ZT , particularly homeowner grade ones arent the best on slopes. Some commercial grade units are pretty good, like Scag.

I regularly mowed 20+ degree slopes with my x540 deere. I now mow those same slopes with a BX25.

How much money do you have to spend?

Tractor
    None

Default Re: nrw member - looking for a recommendation for zero turn mower that is good on sl

Welcome to TBN

I moved your thread to the General Lawn & Garden forum.

Tractor
    John Deere 245

I can spend 4-6 thousand for a mower. Does anyone know does a steering wheel (as is available on the Cub Cadet) make it any easier to mow a bank? I currently can (barely) mow this bank with my series 2000 John Deere conventional yard tractor. I really don't know how to meaasure the angle of the slope, just that I feel the JD is on the edge of turning over.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Id say the conventional sticks on a ZT would make it easier to feather the controls to maintain control on hills if they really are that steep

One major issue with consumer zt is the lack of brakes. and on real steep hills you can slide and loose directional control (remember you have no steering wheels, if you loose rear grip, you have no control. The front casters are just along for the ride)

You have enough budget to look at a x540. It really is great on slopes. The Differential lock is truly worth it, it makes a huge difference. Its a big machine but probably the best mower Ive ever used, and handles my slopes with ease.

To measure angles, take a 4' 2x4 and lay it on the slope. Then get an angle gauge (available at any hardware store or Harbor Freight) and you can read the angle . Under 10 bucks. -dial_gauge_angle_finder_1-jpg

Many people over estimate the slope they are facing, when you have actual measurements it makes all the difference in getting a correct recommendation.

Tractor
    2012 Gravely Pro Turn 152

Quote Originally Posted by rgs76 View Post
    Hello, I am interested in recommendations for a zero turn mower. I have about two acres to mow, some of it is pretty steep. I currently have a JD series 200 mower and it barely stays upright on the slopes. I have heard that zero turns can be even more prone to slipping or rolling over than the standard yard tractors. I have looked at some zero turn Cub Cadets with a steering wheel. The salesman said that this would be a good choice. Does anyone have any experience with these zero turn mowers or any advice
    rgs76,
    I may be a little biased because I just purchased a Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ Commercial ZTR, but check out the YouTube video(and some related Gravely Channel videos available on the same page) at the link below. Looks like these ZTR's are "designed" with a low center of gravity and extra width tha makes them pretty good on slopes.

(HD) Gravely Zero Turn Hill Climbing by Robs Mowers Alstonville - YouTube

Veteran Member

Check out these all terrain mowers.Not sure how well they work or how they hurt the wallet but they look like they would handle those slopes that take your breath away.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by QRTRHRS View Post
    Check out these all terrain mowers.Not sure how well they work or how they hurt the wallet but they look like they would handle those slopes that take your breath away.

Bet the price will take your breath away. While these were interesting mowers they appear to be fairly high profile and depend on hydraulics to level them out. Most low profile (lcg) machines will slide down a slope if steep enough. What is to prevent these mower from doing the same? I know in my locale that it is very doubtful that these machines could grip the ground enough to operate anywhere near 34 degrees as they advertize.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B 2920

I have had a kubota ZD 1800 for several years now and could not be more pleased. I have the 54" deck and cut 1 acre regurlarly and sometimes also a 17 acre pasture . The little diesel is great on fuel and develops lots of torques for excellent blade speed.

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Quote Originally Posted by check 6 View Post
    I have had a kubota ZD 1800 for several years now and could not be more pleased. I have the 54" deck and cut 1 acre regurlarly and sometimes also a 17 acre pasture . The little diesel is great on fuel and develops lots of torques for excellent blade speed.
    When you cut the pasture, how long does it take you?