What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop?

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
This year I planted four Burpee Brandy Boy Hybrid sets, a beefsteak type I have never tried to grow before. They are rather ugly to look at, but the taste is amazing. A thin skin, combined with easy slicing and a very sweet and mild flavor....have given many of them away and people want to know what they are and ask for more. I planted the sets at the end of May, and they ARE STILL FLOWERING, despite the intense heat and drought of this summer. I doubt if these are worth a d*** for canning, but who cares? :laughing:

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #2  
I planted bunches of Amish Paste, They have a very good flavor.

Your Beefsteak will can just fine, great for making sauce also.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #3  
I'll agree with the hybrid beefsteak varieties. Ugly, yes, but the best tomatoes we have ever grown. Next year we plan to cut back on the early season tomatoes and concentrate on the long maturity beefsteak types. Amish paste and Oxheart did well too. Oh, I'll add that the smaller Juliette (a mini Amish paste) seems to do great every year. Others ought to consider them.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #4  
What brand of seeds are you guys using?
Our tomato season is short as it gets too hot around May and the heat and humidity promote fungus and well you get the idea....it becomes clear that they were not meant to grow under those conditions.
We need a fast growing plant.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #5  
The Organic Roma's that we planted from Johnnys seeds are great and have produced quite well.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #6  
It's not the "brand" as such. If we did not rotate our crops and practice good soil management, we would be in trouble. Then again, we have had 63 years to get it right and learn what not to do. I'll add that maybe Florida is different with higher humididty but you could search the net for the advice of other locals.
This year we had 44? days over 90 degrees and our tomatoes did just fine.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #7  
Purple Cherokee was by far the best tomato this year in our garden here in Central Texas.

Spindifferent

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #8  
German Johnson heritage tomatoes. We also planted some other heritage tomatoes and they were good but I don't remember their names.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #9  
Super Fantastic VFN has been our tomato of choice for many years. It is a hybrid so you cannot save the seeds and get the same results from them.
They are sweet, low acid, and worth eating 3 meals a day. This year we had no rain here but by watering them every other night we got bushels to eat over the past two months as well as canning 70 quarts of whole tomatoes, 30 pints, 24 Salsa, and 30 quarts of juice with veggies added to make it like V-8. Still plenty to give away too, all from 4 dozen plants.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop?
What brand of seeds are you guys using?
Our tomato season is short as it gets too hot around May and the heat and humidity promote fungus and well you get the idea....it becomes clear that they were not meant to grow under those conditions.
We need a fast growing plant.

I for one have never planted seeds to produce my tomatoes, have always purchased the sets. My in laws used to live in Florida near Ruskin and they never tried to grow tomatoes because it was so easy to buy them in that area. When we visited them, I recall seeing signs that advertised the famous "Ruskin Tomatoes".