Which riding lawn mower?

/ Which riding lawn mower? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I know this has been discussed at length.... But. I've taken a look in the archives and could not find the answer I'm looking for. I have a BX22 that I don't plan to mow with. The tractor is too big for the obstructions in my 2 acres of grass, and the ride is uncomfortable at speed. This is grass, not lawn.

I have a gas 17hp Kohler twin hydro garden tractor with a 42" deck. I am tired of sniffing fumes for hours every time I mow. The ride isn't bad until I drop a rear wheel in a dip. Then the tractor lurches to the side so hard it hurts my back (the BX does the same). I don't ever pick up my clippings. I'd like to stop scalping my grass where the ground is uneaven. I don't entend to do anything else with this but mow. I have apples planted on a slight slope (10 degrees) to mow around. I would like a zero turn mower but from what I read I could not mow around the trees on the hillside. I have to go across because of the way they are planted. I don't have heavy grass to mow for the most part and would like a deck wider then 42". If I have to spend more then $3000 I'll keep the mower I have. Anything spring to mind?

/ Which riding lawn mower? #2  
<font color="blue"> The ride isn't bad until I drop a rear wheel in a dip. Then the tractor lurches to the side so hard it hurts my back (the BX does the same). </font>

If it hurts on your lawn tractor and it hurts on your BX, my guess is it's gonna hurt on any other machine, too.

Maybe you could take the $3000 and get a box blade and mower deck for the BX. Use the box blade in conjunction with your tiller to clear up the ruts. Use the BX to do the majority of the mowing and the lawn tractor for the trim work in the tight places.

/ Which riding lawn mower? #3  
<font color="blue">...If it hurts on your lawn tractor and it hurts on your BX, my guess is it's gonna hurt on any other machine, too.... </font>

I agree...

How about getting a load of top soil... and start filling in all the low spots and ruts...? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Which riding lawn mower? #4  
You might check out the Kubota 1670. At about $2900 it meets your price point, but it only has a 40 inch deck and a 15 hp kohler single. The reason I bring it up is that it has a rear suspension with shocks and coil springs. I bought one a couple of months ago and am really pleased with the ride comfort. If you wanted a larger mower, you could look at the 1770 or 1870 with Kawasaki twins and wider decks, but they are more money.

Have you thought about lowering the tire pressure in your BX? That could make a big difference in ride quality. That combined with removing some of the obstructions in your lawn would definitely be the least expensive route to follow.

/ Which riding lawn mower?
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at the 1670. Rear suspension is just what I'm looking for. One of the reasons I don't want to mow with the BX is that I'm on the water and I don't have soil where most of the grass is, it is peat. The reason that area is in grass is because it floods in the winter and I can't grow anything else that won't drown! The peat is so soft that the BX sinks in and ruts up the lawn. My mower does fine. The rest of the 2 acres I mow is heavily planted with gardens, trees and small areas of grass that takes the patience of Job to back and fill with the mower I am using now. It's beautiful and I don't mind mowing it, but I'm ready to get something that won't beat me to death doing it. My garden tractor is 20 years old and is no longer supported my the manufacturer. I could keep it running forever... I have a 1952 MM RTU for a toy and have rebuilt just about everything on it. The mower is an appliance and I want to just mow with it and put it away so I can play, um, work with the BX. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 284445-GardenBX.jpg
    284445-GardenBX.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 333
   / Which riding lawn mower? #6  
I debated about posting this, but I figured what the heck.

I had lower back troubles for several years. Our doctor was useless and I did physical therapy for a year and nothing seemed to help. My wife told me to go to acupuncture, which I was very skeptical of. She made an appointment and after only one visit my pain was reduced by 90%. I couldn't friggin believe it. After six visits I have stopped going and am almost completely pain free.

So, to get back to the issue at hand, maybe a few visits to an acupuncturist would save you money in the long run. Unless you want to buy a new lawn tractor, which I'm sure we would all understand.

/ Which riding lawn mower?
Well, I drove the Kubota mowers this week and they did not work well for me... Just like my BX22, I can not sit in the seat and reach the top of the stearing wheel without hunching forward. On the BX with power stearing this is a non issue for the most part. On a riding mower where I'll be spending hours a week and doing a lot of turning it's unacceptable. I also drove their zero turn mowers and liked them, but $10,000 is out of my mower budget range. I stopped by the John Deere dealer last night and drove their mowers. Much better ergonomics. The four wheel steer mower they sell was neat. Half the cost of the Kubota zero turn mower. I did not like the steering force though. Turning two sets of wheels takes a lot more energy then just the fronts and the three foot long stick to raise and lower the deck was stupid. Mounted way far forward so it would not interfere with the driver mounting and dismounting from the mower you just about had to get off the tractor to operate it. My mower has a hydraulic lift on the deck. You move a little lever on the dash board an inch to raise or lower the deck! I drove their SST which is the dual rear hydro like a Kubota ZD but with a steering wheel unstead of levers. This is a neat mower. More money then I want to spend but I may consider it. I'm not thrilled by the Briggs and Stratton engine though. The hunt continues. Suggestions welcomed!

/ Which riding lawn mower? #9  
After reading through this, I'm afraid you have the same problem I have: What you want costs more than what you can spend! I'll be lurking to see what you come up with.

/ Which riding lawn mower? #10  
Sorry to hear about your problems with the ergonomics of the Kubota T-series. I assume you didn't just drive the 1570? It's seat is only adjustable with a wrench, whereas the more expensive models have a lever.

That's why it's so important to drive a lot of different mowers. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the green mowers. Looking forward to hearing what you get.