Kawasaki engine problem

/ Kawasaki engine problem #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
I have a relatively new ZTR (with less than 70 hours of use) with a 31 hp Kawasaki engine (air-cooled 2 cylinder). When I was mowing 3 weeks ago, the engine lost power and backfired after 1.25 hours or so of use. I parked the mower for the night with the intention of staring at the engine the next day. ( I say "stare" because the extent of my mechanical knowledge keeps me from doing much more.:))

The next day, the engine started and ran fine as I finished up mowing for .25 hours or so.

I mowed again last week, and the same problem reappeared after mowing about the same amount of time (1.25 hours or so).

Am I way off base in thinking that I have a faulty ignition coil?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Kawasaki engine problem #2  
check the vent on the gas tank,may be plugged.Maybe fuel starved after running a
while and then vents itself after sitting.

/ Kawasaki engine problem
Dan,

Thanks for the info -- I will check the vent. Would a clogged vent cause the backfiring?

Steve

/ Kawasaki engine problem #4  
think they had a recall on the fuel filter maybe check there

/ Kawasaki engine problem
My problem turned out to be a faulty ignition coil. Per the recommendation of my local small-engine repairman (shade-tree variety), I had both coils replaced.

I have discovered that Kawasaki is very proud of its replacement parts -- $49+ per coil. OUCH!!!!!!!:(

Steve

Last edited:
   / Kawasaki engine problem #6  
Thanks for replying with the cause of your problem