Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #1  

NevadaMOGuy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25
Hi all,

I'm looking at adding a ~50" zero turn mower to my arsenal of lawn care.

My main criteria are price <$5k, easy to maintain, rough environment friendly and Made in the USA. If It would come with a rear discharge deck that would be a plus.

I've narrowed down the local dealers that "seem" to have what I'm looking for but with all the different engine combinations (Kawasaki, Briggs or Kohler) I feel I'm starting to go in circles.

Plenty of time for more research, since it is November, but thought I would see if there are any suggestions for comments on the different mowers.

These are the ones I'm looking at right now:

Dixie Chopper - Magnum
Bad Boy ZT
Grasshopper 223, which can have a rear discharge. :thumbsup:

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #2  
If I were looking at these ZTR's(I recently purchased my first ZTR and did look at the Bad Boys), I would rate them:
1)Dixie Chopper(has the Kawasaki & ZT3400).
2)Grasshopper
3)Bad Boy ZT

I was looking for an entry level commercial ZTR and was impressed with the build of the Bad Boy Outlaw, but after looking at the Gravely's I couldn't justify the price on the Bad Boy(or the warranty). If you have a Gravely dealer nearby(yeah, I love my Pro-Turn 152 XDZ) you may want to compare those 3 ZTR's to the Gravely ZT HD(you can get a 48" for around $5k and a 52" for about $500 more). That is Gravely's high-end residential model and the Pro-Turn 100's are the next model series up. The Gravely is one well built ZTR!!!
I know how you feel, I looked at ZTR's 'til my head was spinning and narrowed my choices down to Gravely, Dixon, Bad Boy & Hustler. There are so many good mowers out there that it's a difficult decision, but I would recommend that you pick up some brochures and look at the important things like engine(Kawasaki, then Kohler, then Briggs as far as best, better & good), cast iron versus aluminum spindles, ZT-3100 or better HydroGear trannies and warranties. My Gravely had the Kawasaki FX series(commercial) engine, cast iron 3-year warranted spindles, ZT-3400 trannies and a lifetime warranty on it's 7-gauge fabricated deck. For what I paid, nothing else I looked at could match all that. Good luck and I hope you find the perfect ZTR to meet your needs!!!

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision
Thanks for the reply.

The Gravely website doesn't show any dealers in Missouri, lots in Kansas though.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #4  
Thanks for the reply.

The Gravely website doesn't show any dealers in Missouri, lots in Kansas though.

NevadaMOGuy,

When I looked at the Gravely website, it showed 10 dealers in Missouri(only one had a website with online pricing available). See link below to see if any of the dealers are close to you(just enter Missouri in the "Enter A Different Location" if it doesn't come up with your state as the current location):

http://www.gravelymower.com/locator...anic|utmctr=gravely&__utmv=-&__utmk=169455138

djdicetn said:

Thanks for that!

I must have put in wrong zip code or something. There is actually a Gravely's in town!! Well, actually in the city limits anyway and another just 15 miles away.

The prices seem right for the ZT ZTLX or even ZTHD.

Other than engines, deck sizes and fuel capacity...not sure what the differences are in build quality, but, now I have another option...Thanks! I had no idea they were local. :confused3:

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #6  
Thanks for that!

I must have put in wrong zip code or something. There is actually a Gravely's in town!! Well, actually in the city limits anyway and another just 15 miles away.

The prices seem right for the ZT ZTLX or even ZTHD.

Other than engines, deck sizes and fuel capacity...not sure what the differences are in build quality, but, now I have another option...Thanks! I had no idea they were local. :confused3:

Best thing to do is go to each dealer carrying the brands you are interested in and look at them in person(and get the dealer to give you a brochure to take home). Some dealers will even let you demo the mower you are interested in purchasing, but a first-hand look will tell you a lot. For the money, I think you will be impressed with the ZT HD which all models have the Kawasaki engine(FS series which is a step up from the residential FR series and a step down from the commercial FX series like my Pro-Turn has). Also, even though the HD is considered a "residential" ZTR, it carries a 1 year Commercial Warranty. I found, when I was looking and asking around on the forum....if it has a "Commercial Warranty", that's an indication of a truly "heavy duty" build and quality components(like the trannies). The chain-hung deck and heavy-duty deck-lift system on the ZT HD will make some of the others you look at "pale by comparison". With winter upon us you are in the driver's seat to "make a deal" on any ZTR a dealer has in stock(I saved $1,000 off the MSRP on my Pro-Turn 152) so don't be afraid to give them an offer "several hundred dollars" less than their asking price. All they can say is no(or give you a counter-offer that's still better than their "sticker price"). I'll bet you can get in the 52" ZT HD for under $5,000 out-the-door which is what you said your budget is(or the 48" for even less).Good luck!!
Ooops...correction-the 60" Gravely ZT HD does come with a 27hp Kohler Courage Pro, so they "all" don't have kawa's:0(

Thanks again for the reply.

I've been looking for other mowers dealers locally, like the GRAVELY, no one seems to advertise anymore. I've been going to different mower websites and using the Find Dealer locators to see what is around the area.

I have the GRAVELY, DIXIE CHOPPER and BAD BOY on my local radar...the GRASSHOPPER and BUSH HOG guys are just to far away.

Another one I've added to the mix, had no idea there was a dealer around the 64772 zip code, is HUSTLER...they even have a rear discharge deck option. :thumbsup:

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #8  
The Hustlers are very good ZTR's, but you may want to ask the dealer when you look at them about the recent recall due to a fire hazard. Here's a link to another forum that has that recall information:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/gener...stler-bigdog-lawn-mowers-due-fire-hazard.html

P.S.
There is also another recall by Kawasaki that affects a "bunch of brands" of mowers that have a faulty gas filter. I pasted the info about that one(the engine on my new Gravely is listed, so I'm going to have to look at the filter on it and contact my dealer if it's the bad one). The recall states the engines affected were sold between October, 2011 and August, 2012 and I didn't buy my Gravely until October, 2012 so I may be OK.

Kawasaki Motors Recalls Lawn Mower Engines Due to Fire Hazard
Kawasaki Motors Recalls Lawn Mower Engines Due to Fire Hazard
3. Kawasaki Motors Recalls Fuel Filters for Lawn Mower and Utility Vehicle Engines Due to Fire Hazard Kawasaki Motors Recalls Fuel Filters for Lawn Mower and Utility Vehicle Engines Due to Fire Hazard

Thanks for the links.

:reading:

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #10  
NevadaMOGuy,
Well have you pulled the trigger yet on a new ZTR? Have you looked at the Toros(the Titan MX is a very nice residential ZTR and you can get in the entry level Z-Master commercial(2000 series) for $5K-$6K? The Gravely I bought is comparable to the Toro Z-Master 3000 series. Let us know how your search is going.