Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #21  
wow!
Funnynthing happened on the way to pay the propane bill today. the propane co. has been selling dixie choppers for the last few yrs. competition here is high, so they moved all their mowers to stores in other locations. except for one floor demo, a 2013 magnum 2250 with canopy. i have been lusting after the Ferris is2100z, but cant come close to justifying the $9k it will cost. have some serious cutting to do on multiple acres, fescue chest high. asked about the price, and ended up with $5400 out the door including the sun shade and tax. mtook it to the farm and started to work. my first ztr, so for a while was lika a two yr old trying to ride a motorcycle, but slowly got the hang of it. the mower really eats, and was sailing along great when at about the two hour mark, it bogged down, and acted just like u described, could sit, let the blades clear, but as soon as move forward,mbog down again. so weird, as it had just cut chest high grass with no problem. tomorrow i will track down the drive pulley and inspect the bolts (if there are any left!)!!hopefully, they are there and just need a wrench. i dont get a new mower very often and am always nervous as i have problems in the past with things falling apart from vibration, loose nuts, etc. i am almost positive that mine has the same problem and i cant wait to check it out. will report my findings. before it bogged down i did some major cutting and was really impressed, like you, coming from a husq 2254 manual xmission machine

thanks so much for this post, who knows how many people u have helped?

-sleepless in kentucky

moozic88

So what was the problem? I am looking at a Dixie Chopper 2250PH for around $5,800 and a Bob Cat XRZ for $5,300. The 2250HP has better specks. Any advise?

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #22  
Hi -
Problem was the missing bolts. Now have everything working great. LOVE the Dixie! Have already put on 28 hours,and it is a cutting beast! I am extremely pleased with the quality of the cut! Personally, I would go with the Dixie Chopper. It looks so cool, works great, and the design is excellent. Easy to clean after mow, most parts easily accessible. Much better on gas than I expected. Also, have made acquaintance with the tech guys, and they have fantastic customer service. Good luck on your decision, and hope you are happy with your choice, if it's the Dixie, I know you will be!

moozic88

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #23  
So what was the problem? I am looking at a Dixie Chopper 2250PH for around $5,800 and a Bob Cat XRZ for $5,300. The 2250HP has better specks. Any advise?

P.s. My model 2250 was 2013 model with kawasaki fs motor - i think the one u r looking has the kawasaki fr motor, top of the line! Good luck...

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #24  
The FX motor is Kawasaki's top of the line. And the FS is a commercial motor, just a step below the FX. The FR is a residential motor used in less expensive models.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #25  
Although i do not have a dealer, I'm interested in the Ferris 700. I do have a Gravely dealer but like the idea of suspension.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #26  
Last I heard Dixie had been bought out by someone or weren't doing so well. That's what I was told by the dealer in my area that carried them for years and years, now he's strictly Husqvarna.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #27  
I have a silver eagle Dixie chopper. I have never noticed a problem with cut in high grass, but I usually use my diesel mowers in high grass. The gasoline mowers just can't hang with a diesel in high grass. If I buy another mower it will be a used grasshopper with a diesel motor. The diesel mowers also burn considerable less fuel. I spent about 5 hours on the Dixie chopper today and it burnt 3/4 of the 8 gallon tank.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision
Old post, sorry for the delay, finally remember my password.

Good deal glad my little story saga could help you out.

Tough little machine.

:thumbsup:

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #29  
Tell us your password and we'll help you remember it.:D