Default New Shed - floor weight capacity question

Hi!

I am purchasing a Post Woodworking shed 12'x20'. I'm upgrading a few things, specifically the floor, to be able to store a car in the winter. Pouring a concrete foundation isn't an option at this point.

The shed floor will be built with:
    1. 12" OC 2x6 PT Floor Joist
    2. Joist hangers
    3. Double 5/8" Exterior Grade Plywood Floor (stacked on top of each other)

I'm wondering what the maximum weight this floor could handle? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Default Re: New Shed - floor weight capacity question

From an old beam table I have, a 12 foot span 2x6 will support 420 lbs (distributed load) at a Fiber stress of 1000 psi, which should be a reasonable value for pressure treated. With 21 joists, that would give you a total distributed capacity of 8820 lbs (neglecting any contribution from the plywood other than distributing the load). Given the point loads of the tires of a car and the need to consider some live load, I think you may be a little marginal on the design. I don't think it would be safe with less than 2x8 joists and, if I was doing it, I would go to 2x10 or 2x12. The cost won't be that much higher.

Thanks KennyG, that helps. If I have a choice, I'll see if I can upgrade. I'd love to see how 1.25" of plywood stacked changes the distribution/load on the 2x6 though.

Again, thanks for checking!

Just an update, I did go with the Post Woodworking recommendation of 12OC 2x6PT with joist hangers and the double (and staggered) 5/8 plywood floor. It worked great last winter and not a deflection or bow or "soft feeling" at all. It feels very stout and sturdy. Here are some pics of the shed going up (in the rain!)
    -postwoodworkingshedbuild-001-jpg-postwoodworkingshedbuild-002-jpg-postwoodworkingshedbuild-004-jpg-postwoodworkingshedbuild-006-jpg-postwoodworkingshedbuild-008-jpg-postwoodworkingshedbuild-010-jpg-postwoodworkingshedbuild-012-jpg

Bronze Member

Thanks for the update and a great looking shed. The side double doors with window above really sets it off.

Just to understand the floor for my future knowledge you did load a car inside for the winter? I just recently learned of doubling the plywood and will use it on my next build like this. I'm wanting to build a very small cabin along lines of a sheepherders wagon and like the double floor to help keep cold air out. I'll glue it and have very solid floor.

Dan