Seized engine Rex

/ Seized engine Rex #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
I have a 3.5 hp b&s on a leaf vacuum that seized due to no oil. I was able to get it to move freely again by rotating the vacuum impeller. I filled it back with oil and it starts and runs pretty good now. My questin is: will it be ok to use? Or should I just replace it because it will never be right again? Thanks for any help anyone can give mw.

/ Seized engine Rex #2  
If you scored the cylinder it will have less power and burn more oil, but chances are you didn't do any major damage.

/ Seized engine Rex #3  
There is a good chance that the rod seized to the crankshaft, and will seize again and break the rod, within just a very short period of time.

/ Seized engine Rex #5  
Gittyup said:
I have a 3.5 hp b&s on a leaf vacuum that seized due to no oil. I was able to get it to move freely again by rotating the vacuum impeller. I filled it back with oil and it starts and runs pretty good now. My questin is: will it be ok to use? Or should I just replace it because it will never be right again? Thanks for any help anyone can give mw.

If you can get it to run, I'd run it until it gives up. No use in replacing it too soon unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket.

/ Seized engine Rex
I started it today and let it run for about 10 minutes. Seemed to run fine. No smoke, no miss. I think I'm going to put it back together and run it till it really gives out.

/ Seized engine Rex #7  
My grandfather many years ago did the same thing to a garden tiller, he was convinced it was completely shot and had already bought a new one, I pulled the head off and the recoil starter, put oil on top of the piston and gently rocked it back and forth until it freed up, back together it went and out to the garden, ran for years afterwards. Just keep a check on the oil level and it should be fine.

Last edited: