Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier?

/ Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier? #1  

MikeA57

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1510
Just curious about anyone's preference on an heirloom seed supplier. I'm thinking that I'd like to use some of them in the garden this year so I'm starting to do some research. Are there any tips/suggestions I should think about in taking this route?

/ Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier? #2  
I'm using Heirloomseeds.com but this is the first season I'll have used the seeds. I have to admit that it's not the best looking or user friendly website but they are somewhat reasonably priced compared to others and I got the seed packets promptly (Plain wrapper)......along with free-bies they seem to send with each order. Huge selection, family run.

I'll check back with this thread late spring and post my results and perhaps a few pics. I probably have about 40 varieties going in between spring and fall this year... all from these people.

/ Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier? #4  
i get heirloom tomato seeds from totally tomatoes, tomato growers supply, fedco, johnnys, tomato fest. don't grow any other heirlooms but tomatoes.

/ Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier? #7  
We used terroir seeds / underwood gardens last year as well as some of the others mentioned. They are real great to deal with. Johnny's select is another good one, they have lots of other stuff too. We just got a catalog from Baker and they have a great selection. Harris seeds, Annie's.... We use lots of them. Are you looking generally or is there something your hunting?

/ Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier? #8  
Tips: call and talk to someone to get a feel about the company. Ask questions about the seeds you want. Heirlooms are a different animal but well worth the time learning them.
Look for detailed descriptions of flavor, because sometimes they surprise you. Example: tomato that taste like watermelon, that's the eat God made; it some love it some don't.
HAVE FUN experimenting, I would also plant extra!

/ Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier? #9  
I just baked a LAKOTA squash,--supposed to be heirloom,-- and it smelled like a cucumber!!LOL!!,---made a pie out of it and its great!--unusual taste but good,--so ya,-- they can throw you on what they turn out to be! thanks; sonny580

/ Heirloom seeds, anyone have a preferred supplier? #10  
I just baked a LAKOTA squash,--supposed to be heirloom,-- and it smelled like a cucumber!!LOL!!,---made a pie out of it and its great!--unusual taste but good,--so ya,-- they can throw you on what they turn out to be! thanks; sonny580

We used to raise squash and it was common wisdom that squash made a better pumpkin pie than pumpkin itself.

Try Baker Seeds for the hard to find seeds. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!