Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #11  
Deer love to eat the arbs so beware.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border.
What do you mean by pyramidial ones?

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #13  
Evergreens look nice but when mowing around them they put a layer of sap on the tractors/mowers. They don't do well in heavy snow, ice, or strong winds. This causes the limbs break to down and/or uproots the tree.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #14  
I've been using evergreens (eastern hemlock), which are good for a natural border with other bigger trees. They are one of the few varieties that grow in shade, so are perfect to put under or around other trees. In my case they create a natural looking screen around my property borders, which are in a mature hardwood forest. They don't grow as fast as other varieties, but seem to hold up well and the only issue I've had is deer eat them when they're small. When big they provide good habitat for the deer and help them survive the winters.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #15  
What do you mean by pyramidial ones?

More upright growth as opposed to wider at the base. Very pyramidal would be a telephone pole. A broad-based evergreen 20 ft across would be far less pyramidal. Here's a link to an American Arborvitae "pyramidal" photo with a description, and here's the photo by itself.

slide69.jpg

american arborvitae - Norton Safe Search

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #16  
We have the same siuation with many deer. So we planted 76 dwarf hollies and 5 Cryptomeria japonica. They are beautiful. The birds love the berries and shelter while the deer hate them.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #17  
The pyramidal arbs are more narrow at the top, versus the ones like nigra which are upright and about the same circumference at the top, as they are at the middle. The pyramidals grow to a "point" and grow upwards more slowly. I've planted probably more than 100 arbs at different homes over the years, and the pyramidals are the slowest to provide privacy. The upright varieties are more columnar and easily grow upwards of 15 or more feet, that can be a problem if you plant them closely together, because snow/ice loading bends them over more easily. I have had to go out and take snow/ice off ones planted 3' apart to avoid losing branches, but the tradeoff is more complete privacy faster when closer together.

Pyramidal Arborvitae

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #18  
Dan-NY is right on that but it gets a little confusing because many things are "pyramidal" in growth pattern yet one tree calls itself the "Pyramidal Arborvitae". Beats me but the American Arborvitae, or Northern White Cedar is pyramidal in nature and is a rapid grower (up to maybe 20 ft), especially when in a cool, wet or gravel soil and fertilized. I have grown many of them in the gravel of northern New England and got well over a foot a year of upward growth and in the clay and heat of Ohio but that takes fertilizer and water when getting started and regular fertilizer for maybe the first 8 or 10 years.

Most any arborvitae is the king of hedges but I'm not fond of the Emerald Arborvitae that is now widely sold at the big box stores. See my earlier notes.
Good luck..

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #19  
Arborvitae are nice, but as said, are enjoyed by deer and they do break under snowloads and are damaged by salt spray if you put them along the road. Depending on your snowfall, you may want to look at other evergreens. May want to talk to a local nursery or just drive around to see what is growing well in your area. We have used white pine and Norway spruce quite a bit, but may not give the privacy you are looking for if you want a real dense screen. Austrian pine have not fared very well in this area - grow too erratic and too open. Of course blue spruce, firs, etc are good, just a matter of how dense you want your screen. There are many mail order nurseries if you are willing to purchase bare root stock. Good luck !!

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #20  
Joe G.
I would look into Lawyer Nursery.com Their main office/nursery is located in WA. But they have several nurseries through out the country. Thier web site is easy to use and their customer service is awesome. I would recommend giving them a call. At the very least they can give you some solid advice and some tried/true recommendations for your area and climate zone.

I live in Alaska and have made several purchases from these people. A few of these were based soley on thier recommendations/suggestions. I have not been disappointed. I received what I ordered on time. And everything was alive and healthy when it was delivered, which is says alot about thier shipping department. Getting anything shipped up here is usually difficult.
Good luck