Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #21  
Hi, I am Wondering what kind of bushes/shrubs would make a nice Privacy border around a property edge.
My Home and land sit off the road and I do live in the country, But I still would like to put bushes and or shrubs on the fence line near the road.

I am in NY and there will be a mixture of shade and sun, there are Oak,maple,fruit and Pine trees there now. I would like something that gets at least 6 foot tall, I would like it to stay green all year long but I can work around that.

So what do you suggest, There are animals, Wild and domestic along with farm animals to consider, I could Use fencing if need be. Thanks

Stay away from exotic, invasive species like
Multiflora Rose
Autumn Olive
Japanese / Exotic Bush Honeysuckles
Tree of Heavan
European Buckthorn

Any of these will rapidly "take over" a pasture or woodlot

My second landscaping tip - avoid planting eastern red cedar or juniper species up against or too close to structures, as they burn intensely if ignited by embers during Spring or Fall fire season. Other than that, junipers are excellent for screening off areas and the birds love them for winter cover.

The County Extension Agent or state forestry office should have recommendations for native trees and shrubs for your area. If your area is prone to brush fires, or you live in the woods, also look at "Firewise" landscaping. For firewise landscaping, check out the firewise.org web site.

Have fun. Hope that we all get an early Spring in order to get out and do outside stuff other than shove snow.

SC

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #24  
I would recommend Norway Spruce - they are fast growing and deer resistant, and good hedge material. I put in 25 6-7' a few years back a combination of Norway and Serbian Spruce - should have done all Norway as they are really growing fast.

Planted in staggered row 15' apart they will provide privacy in a few years and eventually fill in.

My wife has a garden design business so we deal with Northern Nurseries they have 6 locations and should be in your area - Rochester area and also Eastern NY - you can get the Norway 6-7' for $120 range, or 4-5' for $70 range or smaller even less. Northern Nurseries Wholesale Horticultural Distribution Centers in the northeast

If you need a lot you can buy a truckload and get a great price.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #25  
blue spruce pine/ lilacs/ caregarna / apple trees/ cherry trees/ gooseberry bushes/raspberry black and red bushes/. hope these may help you?

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border.
Thanks for all of the tips guys.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #27  
youre very welcome. just love to see finale results . when you get done. sounds like fun an will look great.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border.
Between, My logging project, shop project and my Avaiary project, I am not sure when I'll get to the planting but I hope to this year.

/ Need help picking out Bushes/Shrubs that will be good for a privacy border. #29  
ha ha ha. ya im laughing with ya. I know how many irons can get thrown in the fire. even ones we don't put in. honey dos ya know ha ha.:laughing: