Building Rental Inventory

/ Building Rental Inventory #1  

mikesee

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2660, RTV 900, RTV 1140 CXP, B21, KX-018-3, KX 121-4
Hi Guys: I am in the process of building a rental inventory and was wondering what type of machine would be needed by landscaping contractors on a rental basis. Is there something that you could use every now-and-then that could make you money but that doesn't justify the upfront purchace price and cost of continued ownership?
Was also thinking of having a couple of Zero Turns that could be rented in case of a break down with your current machine or an increased temporary demand with your business.
Do you think pricing by the hour based on the hour meter would be attractive as then you are only paying for the machine while it is making you money? Thanks

A

Also what do you think about pricing based on usage rather than days--for example $25 per hour for a high quality Kubota Zero turn?

Last edited:
   / Building Rental Inventory
mikesee said:
Hi Guys: I am in the process of building a rental inventory and was wondering what type of machine would be needed by landscaping contractors on a rental basis. Is there something that you could use every now-and-then that could make you money but that doesn't justify the upfront purchace price and cost of continued ownership?
Was also thinking of having a couple of Zero Turns that could be rented in case of a break down with your current machine or an increased temporary demand with your business.
Do you think pricing by the hour based on the hour meter would be attractive as then you are only paying for the machine while it is making you money? Thanks

/ Building Rental Inventory #3  
I think accessories is your best bet. There are plenty of walk behinds over seeders, but no 3 pt overseeders for subcompacts to rent around here or they have all too big ones. Try to think of things that takes up space and many people dont want to do maintenance or storing during the winter like rollers, aerators, pull behind sprayers etc. I'd start small with one of each , but be able to get more on demand to test your local market.

/ Building Rental Inventory #4  
Mike,

I dont think the ZTR is the best starting point, but would not hurt to have one on hand to rent. Usually the rental outfits charge by the day then the week, and limit it to 8 hrs per day / 40 per week. Over that you pay a premium, plus damages (blades, etc)

I would focus on things like, Harley rock rake for creating lawns $$ to buy, but invaluable to rent to get a lawn done. Then the tractor to run it - 30-35 HP size for a 6'..

Also things like landscape rakes, dump trailers, powered dethachers, log splitter and one or two 5K portable generators, and heavy duty hammer drills, gas powered water/sludge pump etc. would be good to have on hand to rent.

Then for general purpose, a BX25 TLB is small enough to be towed by a half ton truck and trailer for small jobs.

You will probably need two trailers eventually - one to rent out with the machine, and one to deliver the rental items.

Target your market too - probably lanscapers needing an infrequently use tool, or for the homeowner who wants to do a job himself..

Check Nations Rent in your area to see the machines, sizes and prices..

Good luck,

/ Building Rental Inventory #5  
Pole saws,good ones,hard to justify $600 to trim a few trees.

/ Building Rental Inventory #6  
By the hour meter won't work, to easy to defeat or bypass. You will find your equipment gone for 2 days and the renter will claim 3 hours of usage.
Best is 'time away from your shop' 1/2 day or full days.
Generally out after 5 on Friday and back B4 8 Mon gets WE rate of 1 1/2 regular day rate.
1 week = 4 X daily rate, month = 3 X weekly rate.
Check machine thoroughly B4 it leaves and when It is returned noting all damage, renter will always claim that the damage was there when he got it.
Some folks will rent your equipment because they don't want to abuse theirs if the job is tough.
Rental equipment is the most abused things out there.
We knew folks that rented lawn mowers to spread their topsoil as they did not want to dirty theirs, return spray guns full of paint concrete mixers with hard concrete in them.
Wood planers get used to strip paint

On wear items like carbide you measure and charge wear by % as well as lost teeth.

Fuel is always at users expense.

/ Building Rental Inventory #7  
What I could see as rental inventory would be a mid sized skid steer, a mini excavator, and possibly even a walk behind compact track loader. Around here skid steers are hot commodities, they are almost never in the yards, always being rented out. Just my :2cents: