help with a drop pipe

/ help with a drop pipe #1  

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar EX450, Ford 8N/2N, Case 580C backhoe, Massey 185
Need to install a 30' pvc drop pipe w/foot valve in a 4" well to irrigate my garden. Anybody ever do this before? how do you keep from dropping the pipe? Think I can lower it in with my FEL?

/ help with a drop pipe #2  
Why use PVC? Standard around here is black poly pipe. For only 30 feet, a careful install is simple. But if a safety factor is desired, a polyproplene rope tied to the foot valve will keep you from losing the pipe string.

/ help with a drop pipe
I like the idea of a one piece pipe that's flexible, but can't seem to find a local source w/o buying a roll of pipe. any ideas?

/ help with a drop pipe #4  
If I were doing this and wanted to avoid buying a full roll of pipe then pvc would be a good option, two sticks would do it. As mentioned by hosspuller attach a rope to the bottom end and add a few half hitches around the pipe as you lower it into the casing. I use threaded joints with brass couplings on deep wells but see no reason why you can't glue together bell end pipe. Just be sure to allow the glue joint to cure fully before it gets in the water. Thirty feet is a simple install and not much weight to deal with.