Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out

/ Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out #1  

johneic

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3038e, Bolens-Iseki G174 2 Cylinder (early), Kubota B7200E 2WD belly mower
I have the horizontal shaft, model 380447 type 0079-E1 or(I) Code 03040711, I think i got pretty god pics attached.

Its been sitting for two years, I just got it, starts and runs good on starting fluid, so I figured I needed to clean the jets.

I got the fuel bowl off and from reading other posts here I expected to find needle jets to remove and clean, I think there are three. I can't find anything to clean and its pretty clean in there. So what do I now clean?

Also in the pics the fuel bowl gasket will not stay in the ridge so I can , when the time comes, reattach the bowl, how do I get the gasket to stay in the "hollowed out" trough for it?

Thanks for any thoughts,

John

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 951
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 571
   / Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out #2  
Looks like a new gasket set is required. E10 fuel is the hardest thing on small engine gaskets.

/ Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out #3  
The parts breakdown for that carb shows 2 main jets, a left and a right, and two fuel jets located in the carb bowl. From the pictures you showed there is evidence of stale fuel on the emulsion tubes, and float. the bowl and the jets probably show more evidence of stale fuel residue.

/ Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out
Hi Randy, I agree, its stale fuel,

I do not understand how to further disassemble to clean, what do I take out, clean etc..

I have made Boo Boos in the past that cost me money and have learned to ask before proceeding, please tell me what screw to remove and what to do with it, I will not dissemble/reassemble until I hear what is right to do...

/ Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out
OK, here is a pic of the bowl before I cleaned it, I tried to turn what I think are the jets, the brass "screws" on each side, they are real tight. I only got the left one to turn a little bit and a few brass chips came off so I stopped trying to turn them.

Then I just sprayed carb cleaner in all the holes, when I saw that carb cleaner came out other holes I figured I was done and clean. I also cleaned the bowl and the body of the carb and all the holes in the carb body.

Is that about it?

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 820