Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bolens G174 2 Cylinder

Default Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out

I have the horizontal shaft, model 380447 type 0079-E1 or(I) Code 03040711, I think i got pretty god pics attached.

Its been sitting for two years, I just got it, starts and runs good on starting fluid, so I figured I needed to clean the jets.

I got the fuel bowl off and from reading other posts here I expected to find needle jets to remove and clean, I think there are three. I can't find anything to clean and its pretty clean in there. So what do I now clean?

Also in the pics the fuel bowl gasket will not stay in the ridge so I can , when the time comes, reattach the bowl, how do I get the gasket to stay in the "hollowed out" trough for it?

Thanks for any thoughts,

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out-picture-016.jpg   Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out-picture-017.jpg   Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out-picture-018.jpg  

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened

Default Re: Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out

Looks like a new gasket set is required. E10 fuel is the hardest thing on small engine gaskets.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

Default Re: Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out

The parts breakdown for that carb shows 2 main jets, a left and a right, and two fuel jets located in the carb bowl. From the pictures you showed there is evidence of stale fuel on the emulsion tubes, and float. the bowl and the jets probably show more evidence of stale fuel residue.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bolens G174 2 Cylinder

Hi Randy, I agree, its stale fuel,

I do not understand how to further disassemble to clean, what do I take out, clean etc..

I have made Boo Boos in the past that cost me money and have learned to ask before proceeding, please tell me what screw to remove and what to do with it, I will not dissemble/reassemble until I hear what is right to do...

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bolens G174 2 Cylinder

OK, here is a pic of the bowl before I cleaned it, I tried to turn what I think are the jets, the brass "screws" on each side, they are real tight. I only got the left one to turn a little bit and a few brass chips came off so I stopped trying to turn them.

Then I just sprayed carb cleaner in all the holes, when I saw that carb cleaner came out other holes I figured I was done and clean. I also cleaned the bowl and the body of the carb and all the holes in the carb body.

Is that about it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vanguard 23 hp Carb cleaning I have disassembled Carb and can not figure it out-picture-024.jpg