Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #1  

HMS

I need to replace my current Snapper ridiing lawnmower. I'm looking for brand/model recommendations for a late model used 48" (more or less) mower with hydrostatic
drive. Something good for uneven surfaces, hills and slanted areas, nothing really extreme but I've flipped the Snapper twice. With all the bigbox store models out
there it's hard to know which is a quality machine. Hope I'm posting in the right place.

Howard

"Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes just spend a day in my head"

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #2  
I have a JD LT180......about 9 years old. Had to replace the tranny 2 years ago but that's because I abuse the heck out of the mower. Lots of hills....run chains most of the year....mow about 2 ac. every week. It's been a good machine......never felt I would flip it. Good luck.

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #3  
well I prefer simplicity myself. I find they do not scalp the lawn. unlike jd and ih models. I would say simplicity prestige or legacy . course I prefer solid built axles and frames. I own a sunstar 20 gth made in 1992 or 93. I love it. for 21 yr old tractor /mower / blower. its a strong unit. its on you tube. under simplicity sunstar 20 gth blowing snow. I also own a jd 318 which is another solid built garden tractor. probly the best jd ever made.but with out the full roller system under mower deck you get a lot of scalping.my star has 60inch deck. jd has 50 inch deck. if that helps you. I hope it will.

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #4  
Never had a scalping problem with my JD LT180.....just sayin....:thumbsup:

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #5  
that's good . is that a smaller deck on that lil jd? about 32 to 38 inch ? see mine have all been 48inch to 60 inch cut on them. just courious. nothing bad about simplicity or jd. they are number one an two as far as im concerned.as far as well built solid AMERICAN MADE garden tractors. I like the 60s/70s/80s. that being the yrs they were made . any newer an you tend to get forign farmed out models. junk in my eyes. just my thoughts on forign stuff. sorry my dad was a steel worker for 40 yrs. I still belive in by American made in the states.i wont get into all that though.:thumbsup:

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #6  
Simplicity Conquest 54 inch deck. Nothing cuts like a Simplicity, Nothing.

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #7  
I do agree . as you can see my sunstar 20 gth.

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #8  
I'm looking for brand/model recommendations for a late model used 48" (more or less) mower with hydrostatic
drive.

If you can find a used John Deere in the X500 series buy it.

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #9  
I can tell you my JD from the big box store is better on the hills than a cub cadet from the big box store. Considerably better. Don't ask me how I know.:eek: It is more stable and operates smoother too. I actually did not buy it from a big box store, I bought it from a dealer but the same model La135SE was available at Lowes. This is not a high priced mower, but it works well for me and is a lot more stable.

James K0UA

/ Recommendations for used hydrostatic riding lawnmower #10  
that's good . is that a smaller deck on that lil jd? about 32 to 38 inch ? see mine have all been 48inch to 60 inch cut on them. just courious. nothing bad about simplicity or jd. they are number one an two as far as im concerned.as far as well built solid AMERICAN MADE garden tractors. I like the 60s/70s/80s. that being the yrs they were made . any newer an you tend to get forign farmed out models. junk in my eyes. just my thoughts on forign stuff. sorry my dad was a steel worker for 40 yrs. I still belive in by American made in the states.i wont get into all that though.:thumbsup:

My LT180 has a 42 inch deck........don't know about bigger decks....but the 42 works real well...at least mine does. As for American made.....I understand where you're coming from but now a days.....even stuff that says American made have parts from other parts of the world....just the way it is. My tractor has a Kawasaki 17hp engine......great engine.....runs really strong. Only trouble I have had was when I wore out the transmission and had it replaced. That little tranny.....by the way....was made in Tenn. by Tuff Torq. Interesting enough.....Tuff Torq is owned by Yanmar I believe. Not really sure how much stuff is really American anymore. My wife's Mercedes SUV, famous for being German...was put together in Georgia..... My American Chevy truck has a Canadian built engine and several parts made in Mexico. Go figure! I wish things were differnt but what is....is....:shocked: