Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower.

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #71  
I'm on my second Raven - the first had a fuel leak out of the carb, Lowes took it back without a problem. The second arrived with all batteries dead, but started and ran well after a quick charge. Steering and handling is heavy, because of all the weight - steering improved some with more psi in the tires. The 48 volt connection for the mower deck is a standard Anderson PowerPole connector, which I'm planning to use with my home made attachments (working on a power brush). The 48v trickle charger is not yet available, but I bought one for $20 off of Ebay and changed the connector - unless I'm mowing I use the Raven mostly in electric mode for short trips around the farm and just charge it up. I wanted 220v for the backup house generator and welding, so I bought a AVR5000 step up transformer - had to change the plugs, but it works great - plugs into the 110 30amp outlet. Thing I like best is if you run out of gas while mowing, you can drive home on battery power. Deck comes off nice and easy, seems like plenty of mowing power, and turns tighter than my old MTD, but you have to slow down a lot on tight turns. The safety interlocks are a pain - the seat interlock killed the engine every time I hit a bump, and once it decides to shut down it can't be saved - it had to go. You also have to turn the various switches slowly and in the correct order, or it won't run. Both units arrived with the deck out of balance and all four tires with very different PSI readings. The rear cargo area is nice, and its nice that the gate comes off, but it can fall out when in the down position. The rear grab bars have a stylish slant, but would be much more functional if they were flat so you could put things on them. The generator panel is under the seat, not very convenient, and very hard to read the hour meter. The throttle/speed control is overly sensitive and hard to control - the cruise control works well, and lets you accelerate without changing the setting. But the unit will accelerate when going downhill under cruise control, and if you touch the brakes you have to reset cruise. The parking brake works well but takes two steps to set (foot and hand). When I asked at the store, they told me the extended warranty added three years to the standard warranty for a total of six years warranty - I asked for it in writing, and it turned out that all the extended warranty really does is pay for pick up service, it does not add years. Currently no parts or accessories available, and the owners manual isn't much. So far, I like it a lot, even with the hiccups.

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #72  
Jeff,
Parts are avaialble through Raven. Just call them directly like I did. The seat safety switch you have trouble with may be cured with the new and improved version they sent me. It fixed mine. Have you had problems with the Raven blowing the 30 amp fuse under the seal Mine has blown twice. I believe it is blowing when it is going down a steep grade and the motor is holding it back. I replaced my tires with ATV tires and they seem to do well, much better traction. Heres a new picture of mine with the tires. Let me know about the fuse. Raven with atv tires 004.jpg

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #73  
I've got the new under seat switch - maybe its how I sit in the seat, but it seems like the seat is slightly inclined forward, and any slight downhill with a bump triggers it. I haven't had any problem with my fuse blowing. I like your tires, might have to give that some thought. Good to know parts are available, I figure they'll get around to getting more stuff out....

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #74  
Jeff,

I assume this is the same Owners Manual that you have, but it is also listed on the Raven website:

Raven MPV - Support

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #75  
Is there any inherent braking/regen from the wheel motors or does the Raven just freewheel down hill?
larry

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #76  
Larry,
The drive motors actually hold the machine back when going down a steep grade slowly if you do not press the accelator pedal. Now, I'm not sure if this a design feature, however it seems to work well with mine. The braking system is adequate, but not impressive. Scott

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #77  
If you installed an ammeter & shunt, it should be able to tell you if the batteries are being charged or discharged. It would at least be curious.

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #78  
Lowe's Mayfield KY store had the inside display set up with features and pricing ($3K) but the unit was missing.
The one guy that was there was off helping another.

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #79  
There was one on display at the Somerset, KY store the other day that caught my eye but I did not get to close for fear of getting to interested, lol! I remembered this thread but had not read it yet. Kind of looks like something for the "rambo yard warrior", lol!

Think I will pass on the Raven and save my money for a Dew-Eze or maybe one of those Hustler six wheelers no longer made.

/ Anybody got one of these yet? Raven mower. #80  
Is there any inherent braking/regen from the wheel motors or does the Raven just freewheel down hill?
larry

Larry,
The drive motors actually hold the machine back when going down a steep grade slowly if you do not press the accelator pedal. Now, I'm not sure if this a design feature, however it seems to work well with mine. The braking system is adequate, but not impressive. Scott

If you installed an ammeter & shunt, it should be able to tell you if the batteries are being charged or discharged. It would at least be curious.
There is a very simple meter that you can just clip around the wire to tell you the current in it. The meter has no power supply of its own, using the induction from wire current to power itself. I have one that is a center null with -60 and +60 on either side and it would be perfect for this since this is sensitive enuf and this type meter is tolerant of huge overcurrent. Hoyt Electrical makes these in various ranges : 800-2583652, X122 Mark. The problem is that these are no longer on the shelf because their utility for determining direction and ~ magnitude of current is not generally recognized ... and componded with their infinite life in ready to use condition.

I have feelers out to find a distributor. Failing that, Hoyt has a $250 minimum and a pool of ~ 10 buyers could work it. I could use one of higher range myself to check starting current on various vehicles.
larry