Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Shopping for my first ZTR. Mowing 2-3 acres per week, and every other week mowing an additional 3 acres. Relatively flat, grass is in decent condition but it's not a Scott's lawn and I'm not trying to make it that way. I mow around lots of trees, flower beds, landscape gardens, gardens, chickens, children, etc :confused2: I live in Michigan and will mow for maybe 30 weeks a year at best. I'm guessing 150 hrs per year at most.

Most people that I know who have used a certain brand are pretty loyal to that brand and believe whatever propaganda that their respective manufacturer tells them. So, I'm hoping that someone here can give me an opinion on their experiences with the below brands and tell me something I haven't found in general research. They're all priced relatively close to each other. They all use 1 of 3 identical engines, they all use pretty much the same transmission, tires, belts, gas tanks, etc etc etc. It seems like I'm basically buying a brand name and a mowing deck, and a color:laughing:

Here's what I'm finding in my area:

• Bobcat FastCat Pro 61", Kaw FX 24hp, ZT-3400 trans, $6299.
  • eXmark Pioneer S 60", Kohler 27hp, Zt-3400 trans, $6999.
  • Dixie Chopper Magnum 2760 61" (last year's close-out model), ZT-3400 trans, $5599.
  • Scag Freedom Z 61", Briggs 30hp (last years) for $6509 or Kaw 24hp (this years) for $7009.
  • Grasshopper 226v 61", Kohler 27hp, not sure on trans, $6923.
  • Hustler FasTrak 60" Kaw FS or FasTrak Super Duty 60" Kaw FX, looks like both use ZT-3100 trans, $5794 or $6479.
  • Also looked (online) at a Dixon Ultra 61" OR the Husqvarna 6128 61", both with 27hp Kohler, ZT-3400 trans, and under $4999... but I can't find much about them on the forums and they look less refined than the others.

They're all pretty similar, all close in price, all have similar financing...

I'd like to hear specific reasons why I should AVOID any of these particular mowers, OR why I should buy 1 over another?

Thanks in advance, Tim.

4392964_1.jpg

fetch_file

12magnum_5_1.png

FreedomZ_large.jpg

4f0788dd-e8e7-436d-a183-c1ff5f7bb717.jpg

hustler_fasttrak.jpg

dsc03903.jpg

MZ6128-2-LARGE.jpg

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #2  
I have a Dixie chopper silver eagle and really do like it. Mine is the 27hp with 60 inch cut. This will be my third year with absolutely no problems. I cut around 4 acres a week, 3 is mine and about 1 acre for my mama. I have around 130 hours using it 2 full summers. They are really fast. I had a Husqvarna commercial before that. Only problem kept throwing pulley off and tearing belt off. The main thing get the commercial mower made so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #3  
I may be wrong but aren't Exmark and Bobcat one of the same?

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #4  
I have been mowing commerical for 14 years now, and have used Kubotas, Exmarks, and now Deeres. I will say there is no "perfect" machine. Find a dealer with a good service department, one that is somewhat close to you. Go sit and drive every machine your considering. Just cause they look the same, they will handle different and your visability around the machine may be different. Look at all the service points on the machines. Also, I would recommend you pay attention to tire sizes on the mowers, I prefer 23" tall rears or larger, and also some have smaller narrower fronts. Larger is better..

Also, of those you posted pictures of, I would stay away from the Husqvarna, I dont like the discharge side, too small of opening. Also look how much cheaper $ it is.. Of those you posted, I would look at the Exmark or Hustler. They should be sold and serviced by good reputable dealers. Take care of the machine and it will hold its value better than some of those others.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #5  
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, Exmark, Toro, Deere, Yazzo Keys, and one other, could have been Bobcat, all used the same tractor part, but the mower decks were all different designs. For the last several years, Exmark and Toro are the only two twins out there.. Each make their own decks, but the tractor part are the same between the two brands.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #6  
See if you have a Ferris dealer by you. Better ride and much better machine but pricey

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #7  
I have an eXmarx lazer 60" with a diesel 3 cyl Diahatsu label (Briggs/Stratton. While I realize the extra cost of the diesel it is in a class unto itself

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #8  
Check out the Ferris IS2000z. It's the one you missed in your list and yes...I agree when you buy a zt, your just getting their brand name, mower deck and frame design. The frame is the one place Ferris is different from all those you listed. It has 4 wheel suspension and yes...its worth the money. It'll run around the high 8s.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #9  
I have an eXmarx lazer 60" with a diesel 3 cyl Diahatsu label (Briggs/Stratton. While I realize the extra cost of the diesel it is in a class unto itself

Just stay away from the later ones with the Kubota diesel engine, they are nothing but trouble. I had 4 different ones and were always at the dealership for repairs. Not abuse, just poor designs.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #10  
I prefer a mower that does not crush down the grass before you try to cut it. I have an old Jacobsen 3 wheel mower that has the deck out front and ahead of the wheels that support the mower. So a mower with very thin front (ahead of the deck) support wheels to minimize compaction of the grass is preferred. No one makes a mower like that nowadays.
I use a 7' JD rotary brush/grass mower for field mowing but the tractor wheels crush down the grass (a foot wide for each rear wheel) so the mower can't cut it!
Dennis