Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
If the Ferris is being shipped from out of state Why are you paying tax?

Apparently sales tax also applies to online sales in Wisconsin, 5.5%. Their Oligarch governor is apparently just as bad as ours in Michigan!

Sent from my Motorola Photon using TractorByNet for Android

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #42  
I'm always welcome to ALL input, but you're right DJD... I want the pricing to stay where it's at. I do like Gravely. I store an older 52" Gravely walk-behind in my barn for a friend and have used it a couple times. It cuts very well. It's old and beat-up, but it still works and could be put to use commercially with new tires. I actually used it a few times last year when my mower was in the shop. That's when I quickly realized that a walk-behind was NOT conducive to mowing acreage!

After dealing with both my local and online Ferris dealers, here's what they're quoting me:

IS2000z 61" with Kaw FX801v (nice engine) $8900, or $8300 with a Briggs Commercial 30hp.
IS700z 61" local price: $7000 with Kaw FS730v. Online price, $6500 with Briggs 28hp, $6600 with Kaw FS (plus freight, makes it about the same price as local).

That suspension looks pretty sweet. But, the Hustler FastTrak Superduty 60" with Kaw FX and Flex-forks thrown in for $6479 seems like a better deal than the Ferris (competitive model is IS2000z for $8900). Shoot, I can get the Hustler FastTrak with Kaw FS and forks for $5900, compared to $7000 for the Ferris IS700z.

I talked with a family friend that works at a dealership that sells Hustler yesterday... he's gonna see what kind of deal he can get me. He sells New Holland also, so he'll probably take my CM272 in on trade (if it's the right amount for me) which would lower the payment nicely and save me the hassle of selling on my own. Depending on the pricing, I may go with the Hustler. But if it remains about what it is, the decision will stay tough!

TSO,
I read where you have thrown diesel-pushers into the mix and I'm no help on that subject...but that 60" Hustler Fastrak Super Duty with the Kawasaki FX(at $6479) sure sounds like a good deal. My Hustler dealer wouldn't come down from $6,900 plus tax for a new 2012 54" Super Duty last fall(much less with the flex-forks). Was that a new or used Super Duty, you didn't say? That Hustler Fastrak SD is definitely a well built mower!!

TSO,
I read where you have thrown diesel-pushers into the mix and I'm no help on that subject...but that 60" Hustler Fastrak Super Duty with the Kawasaki FX(at $6479) sure sounds like a good deal. My Hustler dealer wouldn't come down from $6,900 plus tax for a new 2012 54" Super Duty last fall(much less with the flex-forks). Was that a new or used Super Duty, you didn't say? That Hustler Fastrak SD is definitely a well built mower!!
I believe it was a hold-over from last year, new. That might explain the low price, but not sure.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #44  
When I look at the Hustler Factrac super duty specs it is 885lbs, integrated hydrogear transmission, essentially the top of the residential series, whereas the Hustler X one commercial series is 1200lbs has separate pumps and motors, and the vx4 new deck technology.

The Ferris IS2000 is more comparable to the commercial Hustler x one at 1200 lbs, separate pumps and wheel motors and ICD deck in my opinion.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #45  
We are also looking for our first ztr mower - and I understand the difference between a single integrated pump and separate pumps but what does this translate to in real world usage? We will be mowing +/- 5 acres with about an acre of it being pretty steep (our power line easement)

btw - this was sent from my Panasonic toughbook CF-30

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #46  
We are also looking for our first ztr mower - and I understand the difference between a single integrated pump and separate pumps but what does this translate to in real world usage? We will be mowing +/- 5 acres with about an acre of it being pretty steep (our power line easement)

Check out Ferris.or Simplicity

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #47  
When I look at the Hustler Factrac super duty specs it is 885lbs, integrated hydrogear transmission, essentially the top of the residential series, whereas the Hustler X one commercial series is 1200lbs has separate pumps and motors, and the vx4 new deck technology.

The Ferris IS2000 is more comparable to the commercial Hustler x one at 1200 lbs, separate pumps and wheel motors and ICD deck in my opinion.

Carl_NH,
Thanks for pointing out those details on the Hustler Fastrak Super Duty!! After another look I could tell that this mower is actually a high-end Residential ZTR(the weight, the 11gauge deck and the ZT-3100 tranny) even though it sports the FX series(Commercial) Kawa engine. Makes me even happier I went with the entry level Commercial Gravely Pro-Turn 152(weighs in at almost 1,110lbs, with a 7gauge deck and has the ZT-3400 trannies). But like you mentioned, when you move up in any brand to the "real Commercials" that's where you will still find the separate pumps & motors(like the Gravely Pro-Master 200 and Pro-Ride 200 series). But you also will be getting into the $10k-$11k price range for those bad boys, so I'm pretty happy with my Pro-Turn 100 XDZ for < $7k. All of the Gravely Pro-Turns have the integrated Hydro-Gears(the 200 & 400 series moves up to the largest ZT-5400 tranny).

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #48  

Echos Mom,

OK I'll try to keep it simple. Most of the costs of a ZTR are the externally sourced units - motor, hydro pumps, and electrical then internally sourced elements of the frame and suspension components. The exception is Kubota who make the majority of the components in their ZTR's and they are very good machines but spendy.

The hydro units are either single pump/drive all in one $1000 ea x 2 or separate pumps and wheel motors $400 ea x 4. The advantage of the pump and wheel motor separate are cooling of each pump, the pumps and motors are proven and can be replaced separately, although if you lose a pump, usually the motor is damaged is the reality, but if you lose a motor the pump is protected by the filter. So its a matter of flexibility and longevity.

Back to the frame design, another the reason the commercial units use separate components is one frame design can accomodate multiple pump and motors as you go from 52-60-72" and while the engine and hydro units and decks change the base frame is very similar. So this gives the Mfg group flexibilty in design while building the same or similar frame across a range of machines.

In real world usage, there is a thread on TBN about Cub Cadet ZTRs and the integrated transmission you can read.

For the average home user both will work fine, but its the little details that make a difference to some. For instance I measured the temp of the hydro oil, in my Ferris, and saw 180* on a 70* day and the oil was very dark, and since I tow a trac vac I questioned Ferris use of hydro coolers on the 3100 series. They said towing is not suggested as it heats up the transmission! So I put a $50 cooler on my Ferris and now the temps run 140-150 max and the oil is clear.

Bottom line they will all work, but I prefer to buy a commercial machine if offered by a manufacturer, as the price difference over 20-25 years is very, very small in the overall picture.

Carl

OK... So as of now I'm leaning towards the 2008 Hustler Z Diesel with super low hours. It still retains a warranty thru the end of the year. Ultimately, it is a legit commercial machine, has a diesel engine (and I love diesels), has an extra 6" of cutting width, will theoretically retain value better than a gasser... And in the end, it'll only cost an additional $40/mo over the others (on average, due to higher financing rates). The Ferris units look tempting because of the suspension. Otherwise, the top choice would probably be the Gravely.

Decisions decisions

Sent from my Motorola Smartphone w/ TractorByNet for Android

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #50  
I am another that would suggest Gravely. Also have been looking and trying to decide. Was really looking at Husqvarna but after reading this thread they must be problematic although they make awesome chainsaws and weedeater/brushcutters. My dad has an older model Gravely that is still going strong but I thought Gravely's were all priced too high. Got to looking online and they seem to be in same ballpark as others. Also, for what its worth, have a DR brushcutter with a Kawasaki engine and its a champ.