Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #81  
So.. I had started touching up a few spots in the paint on the deck and frame with the dealer paint and it was really thin, didn't like using it at all. I had read that people claim that the tractor store brand "cat yellow" is a real close match, so i bought that and started applying it, much better & thicker consistency.

However, once it dried, it wasn't really close enough to match. The next logical step of course was to remove pieces and repaint it all! So, that's what i did. I also painted the flex forks, which were black, because i thought it looked better in yellow.

I still need to do the ROPS, and the engine cover (it's resin, so i want to wait until it's warmer).

But she turned out pretty good, and I'm a fan if Caterpillar yellow anyhow!

View attachment 309952

View attachment 309953

View attachment 309954

TSO,

WOW, I agree with Carl_NH....fantastic paint job(looks like a brand new mower)!!!!! My Gravely had a "scratch" on the rear engine cover/bumper at delivery(from the dealer unloading it when he got it in) and he "gave me" a can of Gravely Red touch-up paint. I haven't tried it yet, but will next weekend before I start mowing this season since the scratch is down to bare metal and I don't want it to begin to rust(I only put 5.5 hours on it last fall after buying it). I hope it's "decent" paint and matches good(don't know who "makes" the touch-up paint, but it's got Gravely on the label). It's only about a 1.5 inch long/eighth inch wide scratch, so I doubt I'll want to repaint as much as you did:0)

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
Yeah, i definitely hadn't planned to do that much work on it, but I have the time right now since its still crappy outside. That was my main goal, to get rid of, or prevent, any rust. The worst spots were places I hadn't thought to look, and likely would not have if I hadn't taken it all apart: anti -scalp wheel brackets, the rubber grass shoot brackets, and the attachment locations where the deck chains attach. These spots are probably prone to rust because they're subject to constant friction. I took them down to bare metal as a precaution, but I'll probably check them during every off season.

Yeah, i definitely hadn't planned to do that much work on it, but I have the time right now since its still crappy outside. That was my main goal, to get rid of, or prevent, any rust. The worst spots were places I hadn't thought to look, and likely would not have if I hadn't taken it all apart: anti -scalp wheel brackets, the rubber grass shoot brackets, and the attachment locations where the deck chains attach. These spots are probably prone to rust because they're subject to constant friction. I took them down to bare metal as a precaution, but I'll probably check them during every off season.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #84  
For the money Gravely is worth a look. After a lot of camparisons, on my part, I found that Gravely offered offered more features that were additional costs on the others. Had mine for almost 1000 hrs now and only changed oil twice per year.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #85  
For the money Gravely is worth a look. After a lot of camparisons, on my part, I found that Gravely offered offered more features that were additional costs on the others. Had mine for almost 1000 hrs now and only changed oil twice per year.

lherren,
What model Gravely do you have? That's an encouraging testimony after 1,000 hours on one!!! That is why I think I made the right choice as a homeowner to get a Gravely Commercial ZTR just before I retire. Most likely I won't live to see 1,000 hours on mine(I have about 1.5 acres). It only takes me about 35 minutes to mow, so even with a long growing season here in Middle TN I probably won't put 30-50 hours/year on it.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #86  
Most any commercial ZTR will hit 1000-1200 hours if not abused. A commercial crew would put that many hours in 2 or at most 3 summers of mowing.

Aaron Z

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #87  
lherren,
What model Gravely do you have? That's an encouraging testimony after 1,000 hours on one!!! That is why I think I made the right choice as a homeowner to get a Gravely Commercial ZTR just before I retire. Most likely I won't live to see 1,000 hours on mine(I have about 1.5 acres). It only takes me about 35 minutes to mow, so even with a long growing season here in Middle TN I probably won't put 30-50 hours/year on it.

I have a 260Z that I believe is their commercial grade. Like you, I am retired and plan for this thing to outlast me.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #88  
I have a 260Z that I believe is their commercial grade. Like you, I am retired and plan for this thing to outlast me.

lherren,
Yep, the Gravely Commercial series are the 100XDZ, 200XDZ & 400XDZ. The 100 series, like mine, is the entry level, the 200 series like, like yours is the mid-level and the 400 series is the top-end models. The other part of the number is the deck size(mine is a 152 with a 52" deck, and yours is a 260 with a 60" deck). I thought about getting the 200 series, but with my 1.5 acre lot the 152 Commercial was already more than I really needed so I saved the extra money from stepping up to the 200 series. I agree that these ZTR's will most likely be used by our grandkids when we're gone:0)

Awwwwww yeah! So far I'm liking the new mower! Really cuts quick & smooth. I'm most surprised with how mellow the ride is, even when it bounces it absorbs the shock well and makes it surprisingly comfortable.

Mowed this 3 acre field today in about 50 mins.

ForumRunner_20130501_230320.png

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #90  
Yep,, you dun good!!! Was hoping to hear back after you had put it through the mill. BTW, not surprisingly, the 2013 NORTH AMERICAN EQUIPMENT DEALERS ASSOCIATION survey(dealers rating the manufacturers they carry) rated the Hustler with the highest overall rating(6.26) of all Outdoor Equipment Manufacturers(avg. for all mfgs was 5.43). That was higher than the Scags, Grasshoppers and other top-of-the-line brands. I was still pleased with Ariens(makes my Gravely) rating of 6.10 overall. Some want to write off this survey, but I consider it a pretty good "report card" and better than a "consumer survey" which tends to have emotions behind it. There's a thread on the forum with the link to the survey but here it is below in case you want to take a look:
http://www.msdeda.com/pdf/2013 Dealer Manufacturer Survey.pdf